Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

if you could design an exhaust system

There is another thread going right now about headers, I didn't want to hijack . So if you could design an ultimate street/AX exhaust what would it be ? If you were to start with one of the aftermarket headers currently available, then cat delete pipes is the main concern the puny U bend pipes feeding the muffler ? If you used a single can muffler that was shorter in width could you make the entrance into the muffler less restrictive ? Maybe more of a right angle ? Would that be less restrictive or about the same ? The objective is to design an exhaust system that flows better than stock , is lighter and doesn't drone but still has an aggressive exhaust note . This should be fun .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:43 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I remember reading on here somewhere that Jake said the most power he saw was with cheap headers, high flow cats and stock muffler. I keep thinking about getting a set of OBX headers OBX Exhaust Header Manifold for Porsche 986 97-04 2.5L/2.7L/3.2L Boxster and a set of Circuit Works high flow cats Circuit Werks Porsche Boxster 986 2.7L 3.2L High Flow Cats Catalytic Converters | eBay I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Last year I actually bought a different set of $150 headers. The quality didn't seem very good so I sent them back. The reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet is, do I really want to spend $550 on something that wont make any real gains? Not to mention a lot of people had issues with the bolts on the original manifolds stripping out. I had my stock muffler ceramic coated black last year, so that is staying on the car. I also don't want any drone. By the way my car is a 98 base with one set of O2 sensors, 2000 S muffler W/ Crios mod.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #3

See what Woody did on his build, that was a very interesting exhaust design that sounded really good and was less restrictive than the original system.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
CEL P0306

Garage
Gentlemen,
I can't offer anything other than a strong recommendation. If you decided to get serious about a build (or group buy), please look at what Charles Dundon is doing at Charles Dundon Motorsports. I was fortunate to pick up a '98 986 that Charles rebuilt. I know firsthand about his expertise and passion for tuning Porsche's. Not to mention, he's a great guy and will do you right.
Regards,
Aaron
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #5

Dundon's exhausts get great reviews but no 986 listing and the ones listed are a little more than $150 ebay units
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
inveniam viam aut faciam

The ultimate setup? I would want equal length headers into a high flow metal cat into a titanium exhaust with PSE type switch controlled bypasses. I have seen the Akrapovic systems for other Porsches, and they are incredible; light, impeccably crafted, powerful and almost musical in sound. Granted, the cost of an Akrapovic system is probably as much or more than most 986s are worth, but you did say you wanted the ultimate.

In my opinion, the sound of the Boxster is one of its best attributes. Anything that can enhance that attribute without drone is a win in my book.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
CEL P0306

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by achillies View Post
Dundon's exhausts get great reviews but no 986 listing and the ones listed are a little more than $150 ebay units
I talked with him about this. He said he's designed a few boxster exhausts in the past with good success. And he's always open to building new products and even small group buys to get something going. As long as there are enough people interested.

aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote