Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Lower vent line AOS clip broke - any alternateves

Pushing this line/hose back on, the clip has broken...any temporary fix to keep it in the new AOS? I really don't have time right now to tear everything apart and replace this vent hose.
Thanks,

91 BMW 850i
71 MGB GT
bcinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #2

Happened to me once, ended up using plastic wire ties to stretch over connection then used Gorilla black duct tape over it. Worked till I got a new hose.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

You mean the lower right,horizontal corrugated hose, not the vertical rubber hose?
If it is just the clip on one side and not the entire fitting, the plastic zip tie idea is great imho.As the corrugated hose ages, it becomes very stiff. So if you managed to get it back on and fully seated, with one clip working - use the zip tie. There is very little movement there. If the corrugated hose is very stiff, the next mode of failure is cracking in the base of the corrugations. Suggest you plan on that -sorry. I have just done that job, have the grazes to prove it. I have no idea how people with big hands do it. It is hard enough with the gearbox out and the car on a lift.
We really need some long-term results on Stelan's alternative to the AOS. I have vowed that the next time I do this job, it must be to upgrade to a more mechanic-friendly design.See Post 11 in the link below for more details and a link to a detailed dwg.
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/63598-making-better-air-oil-separator.html

Last edited by Gelbster; 11-04-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:41 AM   #4

Thanks everybody for the info. In the meantime zip tying it and waiting for the new part to arrive and all the work that goes along with it.
91 BMW 850i
71 MGB GT
bcinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

Garage
My clip had 1 tab broken from PO when I changed my AOS recently. It was still in place for who knows how long. I just reinstalled when I changed the AOS. This hose is held on not only by tension as it goes to bank 2, but it is also held on under "normal" conditions from the Vacuum the crankcase operates under. How much vacuum? Pull your oil cap to see, and vacuum increases if AOS fails. On engine shut down any increase in crankcase pressure from residual cyl leakdown or temp is bled off by the PCV valve. I'd imagine the line would stay on even if both lock tabs were missing. Of course now that I know about it I will change the line at next AOS change.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote