Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #1

Roof Transmission Pivot/Push Rods for 986

Does anyone know how the adjustment is determined when you replace these? One of mine is snapped.. (see attachment) - the left one is snapped the right one appears ok... I think maybe there was more tension on the left one because the right one actually has a crack in it, but it's never actually broken??

Does Suncoast stock these?

flyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #2

I just ordered new ends from Paragon. They are made of steel rather than plastic, so they should never fail again (64.95). Take a look at them before you buy more plastic ones. I understand that the plastic gets hot from the engine heat and becomes brittle.

As for installing them, I plan to tape around the threads where the bottom of the others were located so I get the new ones on right where the old ones were. I haven't tried it yet, so take that advice with a grain of salt.

How the adjustments are made...no clue. Maybe I can help after I further damage mine.

Last edited by Grizzly; 06-09-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:13 AM   #3

Hey flyride,

I actually got my car back together last night so I thought I'd get back to you. The idea to tape around the threads on the pushrods and install the new ones at the same place didn't work with the metal ends because they don't screw down as far as the plastic ones did. What I did was screw them down until they bottomed and then backed them off about a quarter turn until the sockets were facing in the right direction (about eight threads were showing). Then I stood the pushrods up and measured them to make certain they were exactly the same height (they're adjustable).

Now let me try to explain what I did next, because I think it may be your problem...

I timed the transmissions to be at the exact same place at the exact same time. To do this, you'll have to disconnect all of the pushrods from the transmissions, both the top pushers and the boot pushers. REMEMBER WHAT POSITIONS THE Vs (legs on the transmission that operate the pushers) WERE IN AND WHAT POSITION THE TOP AND BOOT WERE IN WHEN YOU STARTED!!! If you get it back together upside down, the top will cycle backwards. Don't ask me how I know this.

With everything disconnected, run the top motor until one of the the legs of the V is parallel to the floor. Get it exactly level using a ball level. Keep bumping the top motor until you have it perfect. Now go to the other side of the car and check the other side. If the leg on the other side is perfectly level also, you're good to go. If not, disconnect the cable from the motor and use an electric drill to spin the cable until that leg is perfectly level as well.

Once both sides are parallel, the transmissions are perfectly timed. Run the top motor until the transmissions are back where you started and re-assemble everything.

This procedure is a little hard to explain, but it wasn't hard to do...trust me.

Last edited by Grizzly; 06-11-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #4

Awesome thanks for the great info!! Gonna order a set of these up ASAP =) I'll let you know if I run into any problems
flyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #5

The only thing I might add to this thread is that the plastic ball sockets on the push rods are there to break in the event of undue stress caused by misalignment. Not having them there may possibly lead to a more costly failure. The plastic sockets in early Boxster were affected by high heat and supposedly replaced. The replacements can be identified by its white color.

Last edited by 98Boxster98; 06-11-2006 at 08:15 AM.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote