Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2016, 04:00 AM   #1

Is there a wind noise fix how too?

I've got a terrible wind whistle on my 986. I mentioned it previously as I didn't notice it until after having the front end repaired and was told the frunk (front trunk) fit is critical. I've messed around with it for a while, screwing in the rubber stops to make sure the hood is under flush with the front bumper, but no joy.

It seems to start around 55 and goes away some time over 75mph. This morning I came it to work at 6:00 when not many people were on the road. I came in at speeds up to 85 and didn't hear it until I was slowing down into the 60's. It doesn't seem to be totally repeatable, but it's driving me nuts.

Is there a step by step how too out there on how to set the hood height, or mirror or whatever it might be as it's driving me nuts.

Thanks all.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:18 AM   #2

Is there a wind noise fix how too?

Are you sure it is coming from the hood? There are so many things that
Can cause noise on Any vert. Boxster no different. Almost always something with the top tho, unless it is inside or of Course tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ymkmkrz; 10-17-2016 at 04:25 AM.
ymkmkrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
Racer Boy

Try putting duct tape on the hood seams to see if that changes it. If it does, then you know that is where the problem is.

You can do the same thing with the tape on other parts of the car until the noise goes away, and then you've found the culprit!

Just be sure you remove the tape in short order, as it can leave a nasty residue that is difficult to remove.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

If you search for 'whistle' on here you'll find others have had noises from the filler cap area and the release valve in there that sound similar to your issue, may be worth checking that out also.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

It happens top up or down so I don't think it's top related. Filler cap is interesting though. Off back to searching
Old 10-18-2016, 11:54 PM   #6

Check out this old post.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/48736-front-latch-adjustment.html
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Try putting duct tape on the hood seams to see if that changes it. If it does, then you know that is where the problem is.

You can do the same thing with the tape on other parts of the car until the noise goes away, and then you've found the culprit!

Just be sure you remove the tape in short order, as it can leave a nasty residue that is difficult to remove.
Use painters masking tape instead, the blue stuff. Easy to remove, no residue.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #8

I agree with reviewing the link above - you said you adjusted the rubber stops on the frunk, but you didn't mention anything about trying to adjusting the frunk latch position yet. Try lowering it so the leading edge of the frank sits down a little lower than the bumper relief.

If I recall correctly, you'll need to remove some carpet and/or a plastic trim piece to access the latch bolt heads, and I think they're 10mm. Try adjusting it just 1/8" or so. After adjusting, you'll need to screw the rubber bumpers in/out so the front lid isn't "rattley loose", but also not so tight you need to press down extremely hard to get the frunk lid to latch. (It will take a bit of pressure still to close the frunk lid, though.) Good luck!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #9

I think Pedro mentioned that the frunk has to be below the bumper, otherwise there will be wind noises...
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
I think Pedro mentioned that the frunk has to be below the bumper, otherwise there will be wind noises...
Yes....if you make the trunk sit slightly below the trailing edge of the bumper cover, there will be no noise.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote