Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #1

Exclamation Instrument cluster smoking !!!

Has anyone had this problem? I have had my '00 986S for 2 years now. I have not changed anything recently besides the MAF sensor 5 months ago.

During needed headlight use (or any mode that will turn on the guages), the cluster illuminates for a brief second, begins to flicker and stays off when smokes comes from the top left side of the cluster. I brought it to the dealer 2 months ago and they said 1700.00 for a new cluster but needed to be order. In the meantime, they decided to test a used cluster in my car and they smoked that one too. Luckily, they didnt order a cluster for me. When they put my cluster back in, all was fine. I was charged for the labor. It worked for two months. Today, the same things is happening. I pulled out my cluster illumination fuse to drive at night.

Any ideas on what the problem could be guys?

vietoriouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #2

Might be a short in the system. Perhaps a faulty wire. I would head back to the dealership and tell them about it. The work should be warranteed, so I would make sure they take another look see, and fix it right this time free of charge....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:20 AM   #3
bmussatti

My advice would be to "NOT INHALE"...just like Slick Willy said!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:15 AM   #4

The computer maint. guy where I worked once told me the smoke was what carried the electrical current. If all the smoke leaked out, it wouldn't work.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:25 AM   #5

What does it smell like? Is there a strong ozone smell? If so it's most likely electrical. I could be a short, or some faulty wiring that is getting hot and burning off the insulation.

If a drop-in cluster was also burned out, I would guess that the wiring harness for the instrument panel is bad and needs to be replaced. Best of luck on that.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #6

Well the dealer couldnt figure out the problem then put my cluster back in and everything was fine. They charged me a two hour diagnostic fee so I dont think warranty is available.

The dealer thinks it may be the headlight switch itself but when the illumination on the dash goes out the other lighting on the consoles stays on.

Anyone good with boxster wiring?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:28 PM   #7

Bingo!

It turned out to be a loose wire from my stereo harness grounding out. Thanks for all the help guys.