Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #1

Garage
Intermittent cruise control

I recently bought a 2004 Boxter S in terrific shape. The only problem I have run into is that the cruise control is intermittent. Sometimes the light will not come on when I press the activate button, at others it will not engage when I push the lever to the set position. I suspect the previous owner never used the cruise control and that the contacts are dirty.

I bought a can of plastic-compatible contact cleaner from an electronics shop and consider spraying it into the contacts and the button switch. But before I push the button I thought I would ask here if its a good idea.

Thanks/Anker

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #2

Anker

First, check the connections at the enable switch (on the end of the stalk). Just pop off the cap (comes right off with a thumbnail) and check that the black and white wires are soldered to their respective switch posts:

If the switch connections look ok, then it could be the contacts at the base of the cruise stalk. The cruise stalk is part of the turn signal switch - it doesn't come off and I don't see a way to disassemble it. But there are holes on the bottom where you can see some of the contacts. Shooting some of that contact cleaner you bought in there might help (wear eye protection). Here's a shot of the holes on the bottom:

To gain access to the holes, you'll have to remove the bottom steering column cover. There are screws under the steering column you'll have to take out, and you also have to take out two screws directly behind the steering wheel that hold the steering column front cover to the bottom cover. You have to rotate the steering wheel 45 degrees to gain access to them, and use a long handled phillips screwdriver. Also, loosen up the top screws too to allow the front cover to move a bit - it has a lip that locks in the top and bottom covers. Once the bottom cover is off you should have access to the bottom of the holes where you can see the internal switch contacts.

But my bet is that it's the switch at the end of the cruise stalk. If you unsolder the black and white wires it appears that the switch will pull straight up and out. The body of the switch snaps together, so (if you are mechanically inclined) you could disassemble it, clean the internal contacts, and then put it back together.

If you go this route be REALLY careful. If you break anything you'll have to replace the entire turn signal switch.

Hope this helps! (and sorry for the long-winded post!)

Bill
Old 09-29-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Another thing it could be is the switch on the clutch. If you depress the clutch with your hand you can see a plunger type switch. Turning it 1/4 turn will release it. Sometimes the contacts get cruddy. I've tried to clean it, but just ended up buying a new one. https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-1998-Boxster-986-Base-Convertible-H6_2.5L/Braking/Electrical/ Any of these will work as the brake light and clutch switch work the same. But if you want the actual clutch switch. https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/99661311401/ES1494411/ This is the actual switch. I'm sure with the part # you can find it cheaper on ebay. Keep in mind if the either the brake light switch or the clutch switch is loose in its mounting it could cause intermittent cruise control issues. On my car the clutch switch was a little loose, I just turned the switch a little till it was tight in the mounting. I hope this rambling post was of some help.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Anker
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:59 PM   #5

Anker

The stuff that tommy583 talked about - YES! Check that out! Very well could be it!