Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Who's removed their carpet?

I'm pretty far down the weight reduction path and am debating removing the carpet next. Its really only driven on the track and autocrosses but every now and then I'll cruise around town. How miserable is it without carpet? Can it look presentable? If you guys have any pictures handy without carpet I'd love to see them. I've had trouble finding examples that aren't fully caged race cars.

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

keep the carpet but remove the insulation (where the weight is). the carpet is 'formed' to the car, so without the insulation it will be baggy - install rennline full race track mats so that it is not noticeable underfoot.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
No carpet in mine
I made my own track mats using the floor mats as a template. I started with foam core poster board and added 3 layers of fiberglass to each side. I then painted the tops with truck bedliner for grip & to black them out. With the carpet gone, you'll want to do something to the door panels. I went with CF, but you could also do vinyl wrap.
PM me if you want to have a look to get ideas.
I guess I lost 20-30 lbs with all of the carpet gone. The additional noise wasn't so bad.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #4

I removed the insulation from the back of my carpet and it isn't really that much louder. On most Texas roads that is. On roads that are about to get repaved or rough , it can be so loud you can't have a conversation with the passenger.