Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Key fob microswitch

Geez, I'm sorry, my forum search skills must be severely lacking. I can't find a thread dealing with replacing a non-functional microswitch on the remote key fob. My remote works, even the button that needs to be replaced if I press it with a screwdriver, but the button on the microswitch has broken off. Not the button on the rubber case, but rather the button on the circuit board.

Speaking of poor search skills, I even searched eBay for a US domestic seller of the microswitches and couldn't even find one.

If the price is right, I'd even pay someone with better soldering skills than I to install the dang thing.

What are you guys doing? I know this is a common (well maybe not common, but certainly not uncommon) problem that has a cheap fix compared to the cost of new fobs with programming.

Would you please direct me to a relevant thread, or reply with some direction?

Thanks,
Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #2

Garage
Here Ya Go! The thread contains a link to the switch.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/35739-remote-key-microswitch-came-off.html
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #3

Hello,

i've replaced my micro switches lately.

I recommend not to do it yourself if you don't have very good soldering skills and tools and no experience in soldering SMD parts.

This is a good explanation how to do it if you hae soldering experience:

But i would recommend to use a desoldering pump.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #4

Thank yoiu Thank you

Thanks for the responses with links. I knew there had to be threads. Doesn't appear that Mouser stocks that switch any longer. But, its a start.

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 09-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

Update and close thread

The video link in this thread from Markus Smallblock454 is from Batee.com they offer a complete kit with 3 micro switches, a new battery, and solder for 19.95 including shipping. You know, I don't need all that, but I like their service of providing the kit and video and at that price, I'd spend more on time searching than I could save. I rewarded them with an order. I'll use the battery and other switches on another project. Good for them.

Thanks again fellas,
Joe