Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

Another Cooling Question

Hi...I did a search and found many different comments, therefore it seemed that asking a specific question might be ok.

03 Boxster S,,,with an OBD scan tool (not the gauge)

This test was done standing still

Car heats up to 210F at which tome the engine compartment fan comes on. At 212F the front fans come on (both but not sure of the speed since they come on at the same time and the same speed). The temp then starts to drop and at 208F the engine compartment shuts off and at 205F the fans shut off.

If I start the AC the front fans come on regardless of temp.

I cannot tell if the front fans are single or 2 speed since they never seem to change.

The question...does this seem to be correct? Recently my gauge needle seems to be a higher than previously.

Thanks in advance

achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

Test the High/low speed of the fans:
Radiator fan question - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Community
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #3

Thanks I will do that test.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #4

Garage
I use an android app and blue tooth odb2 unit
Around 212 215 my frt fans come on which takes down to 206. 208
Gauge at 212 is at the right side of the 8
Engine fan sometimes comes on at the 212. 215 but I beleive its controlled by engine bay temp not water

One interesting thing i just noticed when fans are running my right side radiator blows cooler than the left side ( driver)

Last edited by kk2002s; 08-20-2016 at 01:26 PM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

I just went through this. I couldn't tell if the fans were coming on low speed. Nothing came on with the Durametric when I tried to activate the fans. I went ahead and ordered used but tested oem resistor ballasts from DCautomotive in Rocky Mount NC. Put them in and voila....I learned what fans on low sound like. Car runs cooler now obviously.
Jthoms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #6

Though your problem is solved, here's a few thoughts for others who encounter the problem.

Fans run in low speed with the AC on. If one doesn't, the odds are the ballast resistor is broken and needs replacing. You can confirm this by letting the car warm up, If the one or both fans come on after warming up, then it's almost certain its one or both the resistors. Why...the fact that the fans run when the coolant temperature gets up, confirms the fan motors and relays work.

If one fan works with the AC on or after warm up and the other doesn't, try swapping the relays. If the non-working side works after the swap, then you have a broken relay. If after the swap, the non-working fan still doesn't work, the it could be the fan motor or a broken wire.

A durmetric makes this easy because you can turn the fans on and off.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote