Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Ceramic Coating an Exhaust System

Anyone have this done on either the headers, exhaust or both? May just have my new cat-back system sent to Jet-Hot for coating, once I get accurate measurements and a quote. Looking more for heat reduction than appearance. They have an "Extreme Sterling" finish that closely matches SS.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

Garage
Yes many benefits to doing this inside & out if possible. Adheres better if parts are new.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

Jet-Hot has told me they coat the inside and outside of piping, but just the outside of mufflers/silencers so as not to adversely affect any internal materials.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Jet-Hot has told me they coat the inside and outside of piping, but just the outside of mufflers/silencers so as not to adversely affect any internal materials.
Yes that's the best way
Old 08-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

Yes the muffler and bypass tubes only .........they are black ceramic

I am always wondering about the heat transfer properties of the colour.....I would think the ceramic material would trump black body radiation
Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Yes the muffler and bypass tubes only .........they are black ceramic

I am always wondering about the heat transfer properties of the colour.....I would think the ceramic material would trump black body radiation
Did you use Jet-Hot? Has the coating lived up to your expectations for the cost? Jet-Hot offers three levels of coating, plus a lot of colors, but that adds cost. I'm looking at this more from the perspective that heat is the enemy. Customers have stated less radiated heat (notably on motorcycles) and quicker cooling times. Guess what I'm trying to wrap my noggin around is, the engine itself isn't making less heat, it's more about how effective the coating is at scavenging heat and if that difference, if measurable, is worth the hefty cost.

I wouldn't guess the color has a lot to do with it. Seems that would be more of an issue if radiant light was a factor.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #7

Jet-Hot is just a brand not specifically a process. When I lived in Orlando there was a local hole in the wall business that did all kinds of ceramic coating. I took a pair of headers for a 3.0 Porsche six for a 914 conversion I was building in to them for their silver/stainless steel look. Came out looking great and for the few years I had the 914 it held up perfect. Coated inside and out. So you might want to look locally you may be surprised.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:36 AM   #8

Jet-Hot isn't too far from me, but certainly not local. They have some "nano-tech" talk on their site, may just be that... I'll see what shops are in my backyard and also talk to a few Techs, see it they've used a similar service.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Anyone have this done on either the headers, exhaust or both? May just have my new cat-back system sent to Jet-Hot for coating, once I get accurate measurements and a quote. Looking more for heat reduction than appearance. They have an "Extreme Sterling" finish that closely matches SS.
It's definitely worthwhile to Ceramic Coat your system, though I wouldn't recommend "bright / polished" ceramic for a Porsche application as they often run too hot. You'd be better off with a high temp ceramic rated at 1800F - 2000F+.

Additionally, I'm not sure where you're located but I'd recommend researching some local sources for ceramic coating your parts as well. Jet Hot used to be a player many years ago, but they've been bought and sold multiple times over the last 10+ years and acquired a somewhat "speckled" reputation. They're currently owned by holding company that picked them up cheap after a $950 million dollar bankruptcy........
CCPcoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPcoatings View Post
It's definitely worthwhile to Ceramic Coat your system, though I wouldn't recommend "bright / polished" ceramic for a Porsche application as they often run too hot. You'd be better off with a high temp ceramic rated at 1800F - 2000F+.

Additionally, I'm not sure where you're located but I'd recommend researching some local sources for ceramic coating your parts as well. Jet Hot used to be a player many years ago, but they've been bought and sold multiple times over the last 10+ years and acquired a somewhat "speckled" reputation. They're currently owned by holding company that picked them up cheap after a $950 million dollar bankruptcy........
What does your data show for a flat black colour ceramic coating .....any loss of insulating performance due to black body radiation
Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

I did this myself to the exhaust on my 951. The process is a bit complicated but it is DIYable if you have sandblasting gear.
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Bebbetufs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #12

Ok, so I found a place in the Charlotte area...

DLC, PVD, PECVD, Teflon, Thermal Coatings | Calico Coatings

They come highly recommended and the sheer range of what they coat is staggering. Here's the thing; I'd like to keep my shiny new exhaust shiny, realizing it's 80% plus hidden from view (wheels down anyway). Jet-Hot's higher temp coatings have a crinkle finish, or so I gather. I've yet to get details from Calico but am hoping for a stainless appearance that will handle the heat and not discolor. Anyone have an idea how hot these exhausts get with a moderately heavy foot about town? I've no plans to track my car.

For those that have had parts coated, was it worth the expense in the way of heat reduction? I'm not really worried about the longevity of the system as I'm guessing that as at least 10 yrs.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #13

Garage
I used Jet-Hot more than a decade ago for coating of header for Sentra SE-R. I worked well and made the header look great. I had to ship it to them and they coated inside and outside. If you are near CLT, I would suggest checking in/around the airport for companies that do this for aircraft parts, etc.

BlackBox01 is offline   Reply With Quote