Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 12:16 AM   #1

Top working intermittently

Has anyone else heard of, or had, this problem...
I have a 97 and for the longest time the windows wouldn't lower when I unlatched the top. Then all of a sudden the top wouldn't raise or lower, but only when it was warm out or when it was parked in the sun. I pulled the relay, tapped it a few times (didn't give it to the dog though) and replaced it. Now the windows lower properly, but the top still doesn't want to move when it's warm. One other thing is that when it doesn't want to move, the top idiot light turns on and doesn't shut off no matter what I do. Until I leave it parked in the garage where its cool, then the top works, sometimes.
What do you think? Bad relay or bad motor?

986 in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #2

There is a pair of microswitches where the hook for the latch goes. Next time the top does not work stick you finger where the latch goes and push in and out while you hold down the top button.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #3

My convertible top was recently working intermittently and it was hard to pinpoint because just checking the latch microswitch for on/off functionality didn't seem to indicate that it was the source of the problem. I would start my car in the morning, go for a drive and then at my destination my top wouldn't go up. Wait several hours, start the car again and the top worked normally, going back up to the closed position. I replaced the latch microswitch (it's not very expensive and an easy job) and now for about six weeks, I haven't had any problems. I pretty much lower the top every time I drive the car.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #4

Thanks
I've tried sticking my finger where the latch goes and nothing. I do hear the windows click a little as if they think they have to go down and then realize they're already there.
I had the same problem as 98Boxster98, but now it has progressed to only working when it's cool. Anything over 16C (61F) and nothing.
The mechanic at the dealership thinks it's the relay. They ordered one, but I haven't gone back to check it.
I'll check on the latch microswitch, especially since the windows just started going down again, they hadn't moved automatically in about two years. I'll see if they have that microswitch in stock.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
creseida

I had it happen twice... released and reset the hand brake on both occasions and the problem resolved itself. Hasn't happened in several months tho.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #6

Then the top control unit/relay is the next part to check.

I usually pull it out, give it a tap, and put it back in. Don't have a dog.

The windows operate through this unit. That is why you hear the click.

If you were in my area I have a new spare unit you could try.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 06-01-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #7

I have nothing really to add to this discussion except that YOU ROCK Toolpants!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #8

Hi,

I agree with Tool Pants and the Dealer, if it's a Heat Sensitive Fault, the Relay is most likely to blame. Replace it and I bet you're good to go...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #9

Pete, Jeff has a picture (and excellent advice) for just about every mod and part on our cars. It's really amazing...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I agree with Tool Pants and the Dealer, if it's a Heat Sensitive Fault, the Relay is most likely to blame. Replace it and I bet you're good to go...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
You know, that's what I thought with mine too and I ordered a relay through Sunset Porsche. I installed the microswitch first while waiting for the relay and the problem went away. I still haven't installed my new relay. The new relay is about $45 from Sunset so it doesn't hurt too bad to acquire both parts.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #11

Thanks for all the advice.

I went to the stealership today, but the service guy had already gone. I went to parts and bought a new microswitch, just to try that. Same thing as before, so now I have an extra microswitch. Parts must be a lot more up here. The microswitch cost me CDN$58.00 (~US$52) and they want CDN$120 (~US$110) for a new relay. They had to order the relay from Atlanta.

When I press the dash switch for the top, I hear the relay clicking. I put my ear to the tonneau cover to see if I could hear anything from the motor. Nothing, not even a click.

In case you're wondering why I mentioned the dog, in one of the old threads on RennTech, one of the posts mentions his relay working after his dog took it.

Johan
Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 in BC
Thanks for all the advice.

I went to the stealership today, but the service guy had already gone. I went to parts and bought a new microswitch, just to try that. Same thing as before, so now I have an extra microswitch. Parts must be a lot more up here. The microswitch cost me CDN$58.00 (~US$52) and they want CDN$120 (~US$110) for a new relay. They had to order the relay from Atlanta.

When I press the dash switch for the top, I hear the relay clicking. I put my ear to the tonneau cover to see if I could hear anything from the motor. Nothing, not even a click.

In case you're wondering why I mentioned the dog, in one of the old threads on RennTech, one of the posts mentions his relay working after his dog took it.

Johan
Oh, bummer. Prices are higher in Canada. I bought the microswitch at the stealership for the list price of $41.23. I have no explanation for why the microswitch worked in my case. I'm in Texas, it's been pretty warm recently (highs mid 80s to mid 90s) and the top has been working fine. I did in fact try cooling off the relay in the refrigerator before I replaced any parts and it didn't seem to help. I replaced my microswitch since in all likelihood the switch was eight years so I thought it was good preventative maintenance. I didn't expect my intermittent problem to cease upon its installation which is why I ordered a relay. Before I replace the switch, the problem was like clockwork; start car, lower top, top doesn't go up at destination. Several hours later, top goes back up.

I mentioned Sunset Porsche in Oregon because they offer parts for cost + 15%. On my Sunset receipt, the relay list price is $74.47 and net cost is $49.67. Shipping cost is $8.20.

I know exactly what you meant with dog - I have seen the post that you are referencing.

Please let us know what the solution in your case is. I recall that 986forum member deliriousga reported an intermittent problem with his convertible top earlier this year but I don't think he got a chance to post what his solution is. Let's hope it is the relay in your case.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #13

I went to the dealer today to check on the relay.
They installed the relay and... nothing! So its not the relay.
The mechanic told me that he's never had to replace the latch microswitch. If the windows go down when you unlatch the top then the microswitch is good. Since the windows just started to go down again, I don't feel bad about changing it.

I told them that it motor must have gone. I left the car with them for the day to "investigate" the problem and sure enough the motor is dead. They have to order the motor from Atlanta so it won't be fixed for another week. They want $380 Cdn (US$330)! I couldn't believe it, but living on an island, I don't have much of a choice in dealer.

When it worked some of the time it must of been on its deathbed.

Johan
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #14
fab

any pics on where the relay switch is located. Even the microswitch. I don't have a top problem but reading this post seems like I should know where these switch/relay are located. Seems like an easy diy job, right?

Toolpants, I bet you have some pic's
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:
I went to the dealer today to check on the relay.
They installed the relay and... nothing! So its not the relay.
The mechanic told me that he's never had to replace the latch microswitch. If the windows go down when you unlatch the top then the microswitch is good. Since the windows just started to go down again, I don't feel bad about changing it.

I told them that it motor must have gone. I left the car with them for the day to "investigate" the problem and sure enough the motor is dead. They have to order the motor from Atlanta so it won't be fixed for another week. They want $380 Cdn (US$330)! I couldn't believe it, but living on an island, I don't have much of a choice in dealer.

When it worked some of the time it must of been on its deathbed.

Johan

Hi Johan:

Well, at least the dealer mechanic found it. Are you now responsible for buying the relay? I'm just curious on how the dealer handles "diagnosis" and repair.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks
I've tried sticking my finger where the latch goes and nothing. I do hear the windows click a little as if they think they have to go down and then realize they're already there.
I had the same problem as 98Boxster98, but now it has progressed to only working when it's cool. Anything over 16C (61F) and nothing.
The mechanic at the dealership thinks it's the relay. They ordered one, but I haven't gone back to check it.
I'll check on the latch microswitch, especially since the windows just started going down again, they hadn't moved automatically in about two years. I'll see if they have that microswitch in stock.
Hey guys,

I just picked up my 97 Boxster today, put the roof down for the ride home, and now I can't get it back up... the windows will not go up and down either. Been reading threads since I got home, and I just went out and tryed what was suggested here about putting your finger in the microswitch, and I can hear the windows click and a click from the back but it doesn't sound like the motor is running. I've let it cool down, and I'm still not getting anywhere... any suggestions on where to look next?

Thanks in advance!
-Adam
flyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyride
Hey guys,

I just picked up my 97 Boxster today, put the roof down for the ride home, and now I can't get it back up... the windows will not go up and down either. Been reading threads since I got home, and I just went out and tryed what was suggested here about putting your finger in the microswitch, and I can hear the windows click and a click from the back but it doesn't sound like the motor is running. I've let it cool down, and I'm still not getting anywhere... any suggestions on where to look next?

Thanks in advance!
-Adam

Hi Adam and unfortunately welcome to our dubious club of squirrelly top operation. Is your parking brake light lit when when you attempt to operate the top? It has been the experience of some that removing the relay and replacing it can sometimes cure your ills. The forum over at www.renntech.org is an excellence source for troubleshooting the top. There is an Adobe pdf document put together by Ron Bonner (?) on troubling the convertible top switches over at Renntech. Good luck, buddy.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
Hi Adam and unfortunately welcome to our dubious club of squirrelly top operation. Is your parking brake light lit when when you attempt to operate the top? It has been the experience of some that removing the relay and replacing it can sometimes cure your ills. The forum over at www.renntech.org is an excellence source for troubleshooting the top. There is an Adobe pdf document put together by Ron Bonner (?) on troubling the convertible top switches over at Renntech. Good luck, buddy.
Hey, thanks for the welcome.. I've found so much resourseful information already, and great people!! Yes, my eBrake light is on and eBrake functions as it should (light shuts off when it goes down)... I've read through a lot of the RennTech threads on the tops, but I couldnt' find anywhere that shows you where the relay is...?

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyride
Hey, thanks for the welcome.. I've found so much resourseful information already, and great people!! Yes, my eBrake light is on and eBrake functions as it should (light shuts off when it goes down)... I've read through a lot of the RennTech threads on the tops, but I couldnt' find anywhere that shows you where the relay is...?

Thanks for the quick response!
Here's a photo of the relay location originally posted by Tool Pants over at renntech.org. The double wide relay with the green 'x' is the convertible top relay. Note that the relay panel has been unfastened for this photo and it is typically connected on the car inside wall by the dead pedal and by the fuse panel. It is not necessary to remove the relay panel to remove the convertible top relay.

[source: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1928&hl]
Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #20

Great, thanks! I just went out and tryed pulling the fuse for a minute and reseating it, no change... anything else I should try with it? Someone mentioned only when they cool off, maybe I should try cooling it it...