Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #1

Litronic auto-leveling questions

So I was wondering the other day how the auto-leveling works with the factory Litronic lights and what is missing from the retrofit kit to make that work. The general description I have found is that the factory kit comes with "extra sensors and servos" to allow the auto-leveling feature.

My thought was why can't you rig up a small sensor unit using say a mercury switch, and have that drive a servo to raise or lower the headlight angle. You'd have to design a certain coarseness into the sensor so that every little bump and dip in the road wouldn't make your headlights wobble all the time. Might be an interesting experiment for any electrical engineers out there.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #2

My understanding is that self-leveling xenons require "ballast" that acts as a balancing mechanism. Car manufacturers build these ballasts into inaccessible locations on the cars to deter xenon thievery. This information was gleaned from an interview I read with a member of the State Farm group that analyzes the effectiveness of anti-theft devices in cars.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #3

Ah. Well that makes sense. I actually just popped into my coworker's office (electrical engineer) and asked him what he would use. He said that if the servo motors are in the headlight assembly, all you'd need would be an accelorameter(sp?) and a small CPU to (all told, about $12). The total size of the control unit would be about the size of a quarter.

Of course this all depends on the leveling motors still being in the headlights. Does anyone know if all the motors are still there? If so I could program the logic pretty easily. Then you could probably make auto-leveling kits for about $20.

If nothing else, this could be an interesting project.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #4

The motors are indeed still there. They make the lamps point upward when you hit your high beams.

My aftermarket Litronics point to the ground and swoop upward when the ignition is fired up. My mechanic said the aftermarkets aren't really supposed to do that (auto leveling), so I might have beaten the system, but have never compared it to another aftermarket litronic installation so I don't really know.

Anyone else have aftermarkets? Do they go from down to middle when you start your car?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
The motors are indeed still there. They make the lamps point upward when you hit your high beams.

My aftermarket Litronics point to the ground and swoop upward when the ignition is fired up. My mechanic said the aftermarkets aren't really supposed to do that (auto leveling), so I might have beaten the system, but have never compared it to another aftermarket litronic installation so I don't really know.

Anyone else have aftermarkets? Do they go from down to middle when you start your car?

Only if they havent been on for a while...If its a quick off and on then it wont adjust.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #6

Hmmm...so the same motors that rotate the xenons up when you hit the high-beams are the ones that auto-level the lights in the factory setup? If so it seems that the control unit would simply need a sensor input to enable the auto-leveling?

What we need is someone with the factory Litronic kit take a look and compare it to the aftermarket and see if where the wiring differences are.

Hell if you can build a robot out of Legos it should be possible to get a bloody headlight to auto-level.

Last edited by Wintermute; 05-31-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute
Hmmm...so the same motors that rotate the xenons up when you hit the high-beams are the ones that auto-level the lights in the factory setup? If so it seems that the control unit would simply need a sensor input to enable the auto-leveling?

What we need is someone with the factory Litronic kit take a look and compare it to the aftermarket and see if where the wiring differences are.

Hell if you can build a robot out of Legos it should be possible to get a bloody headlight to auto-level.

My factory Litronic have two sensors under the car which make the adjustments. If i remember correctly they are just behind the front wheels...
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I have aftermarkets... but I never wired up the chunck that makes them raise/lower.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
My factory Litronic have two sensors under the car which make the adjustments. If i remember correctly they are just behind the front wheels...
Excellent. Do the sensor wires feed into the control units, or do they feed into the headlight assemblies? I don't want you to rip your car apart or anything though but if it's easy to see next time you're in the trunk it would be helpful.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:24 PM   #10

I'll Look into it..

-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs