Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Okinawa986

Front Tire Question 88Y or 92Y Pilot Super Sports for Wet Conditions?

QUESTION:

Do any of you more seasoned Boxster owner's have experience/knowledge to share regarding 88Y's and 92Y's front tire size performance differences and/or feedback regarding Pilot Super Sports especially in wet conditions?

Bought my first Porsche, a 2000 S (41K miles) about 2 months ago and looking to replace my YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVAŽ AD08R with some Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Two FRONT sizes listed for the 2000 Boxster S (18") on several online retail sites:
225/40ZR18 (88Y)
225/40ZR18 (92Y)

The 88Y's: 6.3" tire width
The 92Y's: 8.2" tire width

BACKGROUND INFO:

Live on Okinawa (Japan) with rains year-round. Temps average 82F and only 3 months of sub 70F with lows reaching about 60F (with wind-chill factored).

In other words I live and drive (aggressively when safely possible) in a warm, wet climate.

Okinawan Roads can be very slick, especially since they use crushed coral in their asphalt mix.

The Yokohama's have great DRY grip but the rear wants to slide out every time I drive across WET painted pavement such as cross-walks, etc.
(Pretty much 50% chance of rain every day on this island.)

Read that Michelin Super Sports performed better than the Michelin All Seasons (A/S) and would like to try the Super Sports before giving in to All Season tires.

Thanks in advance for sharing your time and knowledge.

Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles

Last edited by DRGETZ; 07-15-2016 at 03:23 PM.
DRGETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #2

Garage
The 88Y & 92Y are speed/load ratings. Since the higher rated tire is also a wider tire it must be a bigger size.
The super sport is a great tire but I would not mix them with those Yokohama's. Replace all four if you get Super Sports.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
The super sport is a great tire but I would not mix them with those Yokohama's. Replace all four if you get Super Sports.
+1 don't mix them..

The Michelin Super Sports are awesome tires on the rain, and they have pretty decent wear
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Garage
Newb Front Tire Question 88Y or 92Y Pilot Super Sports?

Got super sports on my car today. Road noise, ride quality, and stopping distance is amazing, as you turn into a corner it's as if the tire turns on its side and there is a whole additional contact patch or something, pure black magic.

Anyways I wouldn't suggest mixing the tires.

My car has 92y mounted which according to the guy at discount tire is the most recent tire. They shouldn't be any wider unless the size itself is different.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Got super sports on my car today. Road noise, ride quality, and stopping distance is amazing, as you turn into a corner it's as if the tire turns on its side and there is a whole additional contact patch or something, pure black magic.

Anyways I wouldn't suggest mixing the tires.

My car has 92y mounted which according to the guy at discount tire is the most recent tire. They shouldn't be any wider unless the size itself is different.
MPSS do have the most flexible sidewall of any High performance tire I have ever bought, I run 2 psi more to help firm up the tire.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
Okinawa986

Thanks for the Replies Thus Far

Thanks I agree that all four should be replaced with the same brand/model.

As I shared, the rear loses traction and wants to slide out when driving over painted surfaces (or deep puddles = hydroplaning) but my question has to do with the differences between the two load options.

I am leaning towards the 92Y as they list as heavier by a pound per tire and imagine they would have thicker side walls to accommodate a heavier load.

Also read that the thinner walled 88Y's tend to understeer.

Would really appreciate if someone that has driven on BOTH the Yokohama AD08R's and the Michelin Super Sports would share their experiences and compare the two.
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles

Last edited by DRGETZ; 07-17-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
Okinawa986

Quote:
MPSS do have the most flexible sidewall of any High performance tire I have ever bought, I run 2 psi more to help firm up the tire.
Do you have the 88Y or 92Y's in the front?

Thanks!
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles
Old 07-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGETZ View Post
Do you have the 88Y or 92Y's in the front?

Thanks!

Just checked my 225/40/18 fronts are 95Y extra load made in 2013 midyear.

265/35/18 rears are 97Y extra load made 2014 midyear

I believe this is related to why MPSS have never earned the Porsche "N" rating.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Okinawa986

Quote:
Quote:
Just checked my 225/40/18 fronts are 95Y extra load made in 2013 midyear.

265/35/18 rears are 97Y extra load made 2014 midyear

I believe this is related to why MPSS have never earned the Porsche "N" rating.
Thanks for checking BYprodriver-- I really appreciate it!

I wonder if the "Latest Generation" tires listed here on Michelin's MPSS page have been improved upon since 2013/14?

Could you point me towards/share info regarding the Porsche "N" rating you mentioned?

I do really like the Yokohama's on DRY pavement. The previous (2nd) owner installed them a few months before I purchased it and put 88W's on the front despite the manual stating 89 as the minimum for the fronts. Not sure how much this affects wet traction but I imagine it doesn't help.

Also had Yokohama Advan A048's on a previously owned, heavily modified Miata MX-5 and loved them but only on dry pavement and could not push it at all in rain.

Thanks again BYprodriver for checking your tires.
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles

Last edited by DRGETZ; 07-17-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:59 AM   #10
Okinawa986

Porsche's "N" Ratings Explained by Pedro

Porsche works with manufacturers to test and approve tires that meet Porsches high standards in braking, speed, handling, etc.

If they meet Porsche's standards for tires, they earn an "N" rating that is "stamped" on the tire. Pedro states identical tires, one with and one without, can vary in price by nearly 100%.

More on Porsche's "N" ratings on tires linked below...

For the Nth time Technical Article by Pedro
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles
Old 07-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGETZ View Post
Porsche works with manufacturers to test and approve tires that meet Porsches high standards in braking, speed, handling, etc.

If they meet Porsche's standards for tires, they earn an "N" rating that is "stamped" on the tire. Pedro states identical tires, one with and one without, can vary in price by nearly 100%.

More on Porsche's "N" ratings on tires linked below...

For the Nth time Technical Article by Pedro
Check tirerack.com for more info on "N" ratings & good reviews of various tires.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:41 AM   #12
Okinawa986

PORSCHE APPROVED TIRES Link

Quote:
Check tirerack.com for more info on "N" ratings & good reviews of various tires.
Thanks BYprodriver...good source of tire information...

Also found this...

Tire Rack Porsche N Rating Information

Tire Tech Information - Porsche N-Specification Tire Approvals

Porsche Approved Tire List

or

Porsche Tire approvals - Porsche Cars North America

Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles

Tags
88y or 92y , front tire size , michelin super sports , tires , wet weather tires