Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #1

Desnorkel 987

Is there a way to de-snorkel the intake of 987 s? I have read in the forum several times about desnorkeling a 986. I just baught a EVOMS air intake of my 987 s and there is almost no differece in sound - but a great difference in power although I did not expect it-. The reason is that the intake is fitted inside the stock intake box so nothing can be heard , but it uses a bigger KN filter, sucks more air and eventually goes faster! I trully did not expect this difference in power but I really want to hear more my intake!

M-porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #2

I forgot to mention. EVOMS did wrong in the delivery and sent me two (!!) air intakes for 987. So I have 1 spare and I will sell it as I paid customs for it. I ask 200euro- It is completely new and inside its box.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:01 PM   #3

correct me if im wrong but the new 987 do not have a snorkle tube you can remove. I desnorkled my 986 only after reading many many posts about the pro's and cons, and if i can remember, there was a diagram of a 987 intake and one of the pro's to the arguement was that the snorkle was not needed on the 986, so you should take it off since it does not come in the 987. just my oppinion, but it sounds wayyyyyyyyyy better without the snorkel, much more exotic, and as i dare say again, almost "ferrari" like. you sould do a serch on "desnorkle" in this forum and take a look at the 987 intake layout to be sure though.

my: 1999 boxster 5sp
precisionporsche turbo kit
precisionporsche sideskirts
precisionporsche speedster humps
schenell short shift
986 cupholders
hr 1.5" f/r springs
oem knock off's 19's
235/35f 275/30r
rear spoiler
body color bumper/headlights/bar inserts
kicker 10" L7 sub/fosgate mono 300w amp
kn airfilter/desnorkled intake

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../CIMG01951.jpg
tony2fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #4

I did it! I desnorkled my 987s! The results are controversial and quiteweird but I am happy with the general outcome.
The 987s has a snorkle tube and a plastic plate in the intake vent. I removed both and now I can actually see my EVOMS intake from my side air vent. The sound is increased and you can hear the engine revving hard from low rpm.

THe weird thing is that now the engine works better after 5000rpm up to rev-limiter. I believe that I have lost a little in low rpm but after 5krpm the car roars with much more power then before. I will try to measure it in a 400m run with and without the de-snorkel tube. I assume the difference is associated not with with desnorkle tube but with the plastic plate which actually stops the air from getting in the left side airvent of the 987.

I am not sure if it burns more fuel because I constantly drive it hard to hear the noise so...