Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 04:53 AM   #1

throttle cable slid off

I have a non e gas base box and Yesterday when I started the car I realized that something was wrong with the accelerator pedal, it went all the way down but the car didn't move or rev. So I opened the engine compartment and found that the throttle cable had slid off from its place, near the throttle body. I put it back in place and now it seems ok. But I found it very odd that it had slid off by itself, especially since it gave me no signs the day before. I checked to see if its still in good condition and it seems ok near the throttle body, not frailing or anything like that. Has this ever happened to anyone, and any ideas why this could have happened? Luckily I was in the garage when it happened, I wouldn't want that to happen whilst stuck in traffic!

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #2

The spring is attached to constantly pull it closed, with the throttle pulling it open, so if it slipped off at traffic nothing would have happened.

Could have knocked it when working on the engine previously, and it's moved more since using the cable? Give it a good check over, make sure there's nothing causing it to pull to one side.

Strange though.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
The spring is attached to constantly pull it closed, with the throttle pulling it open, so if it slipped off at traffic nothing would have happened.

Could have knocked it when working on the engine previously, and it's moved more since using the cable? Give it a good check over, make sure there's nothing causing it to pull to one side.

Strange though.
My mechanic worked on it a couple of days before, and I'm thinking that it was him who pulled it to a side maybe whilst revving it from there? But I can't understand how it lasted that long before it eventually slid off. The thing that concerns me if it slides off whilst stuck in traffic is the time it would take to open the engine compartment to slide it back on again. It would make you look like a fool with everyone starring at you whilst you are trying to get to the engine and consequently causing more traffic. That's the worst thing about our cars, getting to the engine!!

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote