Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

should i replace J tube?

I noticed a puddle of oil just under the Air / Oil separator and most probably the culprit is the J tube. I noticed that the O ring was thorn. Should I try to find some replacement O rings or should I just buy a new J tube?

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #2

Garage
You would likely have a vacuum leak and idle issues probably accompanied by a CEL if this was the culprit. I mean, it's cheap enough you can do it easily. But I'd think if it was an issue you'd have other symptoms.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
You would likely have a vacuum leak and idle issues probably accompanied by a CEL if this was the culprit. I mean, it's cheap enough you can do it easily. But I'd think if it was an issue you'd have other symptoms.
I just ordered the j tube, wasn't expensive anyway. I'll see how it goes after I replace it
Old 04-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

probably the oil fill tube that runs from the trunk to the engine - it has a joiner right at the aos that will drip oil if you are chucking the car around.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
probably the oil fill tube that runs from the trunk to the engine - it has a joiner right at the aos that will drip oil if you are chucking the car around.
I will check about that. I didn't know that "chucking the car around" could cause oil leaks. I still ordered a new j tube,as I said, wasn't expensive so worth replacing anyway.