Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

Talking 986 straight pipe

Hello everyone! This is my first post and I have yet to buy my 986 but I'm looking to buy it very soon, I was watching some videos on stock 986 exhausts and I didn't like them very much but I also don't want to spend thousands on a nice exhaust since I'm barely about to be 18 but what are your takes on straight piping? I saw it was fairly cheap to do and from the videos I was watching they sounds nice but not obnoxiously loud but what do they sound like in person? Any other cheap alternatives to make the car sound meaner? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU4h7X2a7s8 something like this sounds good to me. Thanks in advance!

windy city 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #2

Straight pipes are obnoxiously loud. I wear ear plugs in my straight piped race car and still feel its too loud. I get regular complaints from other racers due to the noise when driving down the pit lane.

On a street car, you would be pulled over and ticketed in no time.
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I would like to suggest that you verify what your local laws, ordinances, codes are before you make any changes. Know the rules and penalties before you break them.

As a younger driver, you don't need to give the local constabulary another reason to pull you over. As you will find out, these vehicles are too easy and way too fun to drive over the limit.

Whatever you do, be safe and do the Porsche community proud.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by windy city 986 View Post
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I have yet to buy my 986 but I'm looking to buy it very soon, I was watching some videos on stock 986 exhausts and I didn't like them very much but I also don't want to spend thousands on a nice exhaust since I'm barely about to be 18 but what are your takes on straight piping? I saw it was fairly cheap to do and from the videos I was watching they sounds nice but not obnoxiously loud but what do they sound like in person? Any other cheap alternatives to make the car sound meaner? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU4h7X2a7s8 something like this sounds good to me. Thanks in advance!

If you want something that sounds meaner I would suggest you buy a mustang or camaro instead.

There is no point in cutting slots in a spoon when you could've just used a fork.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Garage
If you truly live in the city of Chicago, not only will you likely fail emissions, you'll also attract a lot of attention from police. Illinois law regarding exhaust is literally anything louder than stock is illegal. You'd have a hard time convincing anyone your loud straight pipes are stock.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
Ben-Auto-Design

No need for straight pipes (it sounds really bad without muffler actually...).
There is a lot of solutions to get a Boxster to sound louder, header, mid pipes, stock muffler modification, etc...

If you can't afford a simple exhaust, you might not be able to afford to properly maintain a Boxster :/

Also, none of the video I saw on youtube sound like real life, so drive one first, after 5000rpm it is loud enough while being really quiet at idle, which is very pleasant!

Ben
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

STRAIGHT PIPES RULE!!!

All depends on the motor option of course!!

https://youtu.be/DxmPWBN74kc
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #8
CEL P0306

Garage
Good luck finding your ride. Once you do, save your money for something else. These things are engineered to be great and keeping it roadworthy is a good first priority when buying a used car.
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:29 AM   #9

Garage
I have stock exhaust with an after market muffler, nothing high end but I am very happy with the sound. It has a low growl at idle and sounds mean when you get on it. I have been thinking about the cat delete mid pipes or even 200 cell high flow mid pipes/cats however I think my next move is to do something with the intake.

I have not heard a boxster with straight pipes however I have heard many other cars with straight pipes. Don't do it lol!

Good luck and look up some regular maintenance costs before you buy. Boxster are very affordable however they are expensive to maintain properly. It's worth it though!
jimmythemufflers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:33 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
If you want something that sounds meaner I would suggest you buy a mustang or camaro instead.

There is no point in cutting slots in a spoon when you could've just used a fork.

I would like to use your cutlery analogy if I may...
jimmythemufflers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Straight pipes are almost as obnoxious as the douchbags responsible for them.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #12

I got rid of the muffler and installed two resonators (hotdog shape cherry bomb type) and a stainless dual tip it sounds louder than stock, great free flow and beautiful porsche-like sport sound, cheap as dirt and very quiet on idle

stelan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust , straight pipes