Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2016, 03:29 AM   #1

World's fastest Boxster

Does anyone know what is the current fastest Boxster in the world in terms of 1/4 mile times?

Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:35 AM   #2

Garage
The boxster is not a quarter mile car...you're barking up the wrong tree.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:00 AM   #3

Pretty sure my car will run low 11's... doubt that qualifies for worlds fastest but not to shabby!!
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escy View Post
Does anyone know what is the current fastest Boxster in the world in terms of 1/4 mile times?
For a comparison my VW Passat 2.0 is (much) faster than my little roadster mate (2.5L). I think you are missing the point of the real use of the Boxster. My Boxster car doesn't even rev past 6.5k rpm and takes a solid 2 sec just to reach that amount of revs stand still (parked) lolllll Not telling how long it takes when in gear (any gears)!

1/4 miles: got a prototype HRC 1030cc engine (bike) here for that stuff. Revs up to 17k in 0.8sec and clock'ed 342km/hrs @21degree ambient (no wind). I toast most German or Italian cars with it.. if not all. Buy a bike if the 1/4miles are your thing... and if you don't mind lower lumbar spine hernias once and a while :/

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-14-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:37 AM   #5

I'm doing an engine swap in mine, will probably end up with around 550bhp. Just wanting to see what else is out there, I know the Boxster isn't a 1/4 mile car, that's not what i'm building mine for either, but it's the performance benchmark, hence the question.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #6

I see/get it.

Search the forum I remember reading how poor the Boxster was in terms of drive line/links/axles and etc. You might end up having to change half of the car to support at least 75% of this power. 996's might be a better choice.

Dunno, I know nothing about performance mods on these 986. Just remember reading something like this before.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escy View Post
I'm doing an engine swap in mine, will probably end up with around 550bhp. Just wanting to see what else is out there, I know the Boxster isn't a 1/4 mile car, that's not what i'm building mine for either, but it's the performance benchmark, hence the question.
Better install Launch control too.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I see/get it.

Search the forum I remember reading how poor the Boxster was in terms of drive line/links/axles and etc. You might end up having to change half of the car to support at least 75% of this power. 996's might be a better choice.

Dunno, I know nothing about performance mods on these 986. Just remember reading something like this before.
It's very easy to break a 5spd transmission if you spin a tire and catch solid with 300+ HP can't imagine 500+. The axle bolts are the second easiest item to break. My track day box has 12 bolts and 6 washers plates.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #9

I'm using a 987 3.2 transmission and axles (also plan to put a Quaife in it). It's stronger than the 5 speed.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

Since I installed the axle spacers in my car I have not had any trouble with the axles or transmission. Currently running FEQ aftermarket axles with a bone stock transmission, which actually hasn't even been serviced since I got it - need to do that! Don't think you'll have an issue with 550hp...
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #11

Garage
Don't understand why the Boxster is not considered a 1/4 mile car. Does it say that in the manual or does Porsche post it somewhere in the specs? I took my '99 to open drag night at Sonoma Raceway and had a blast. I ended up in the semi finals and missed the finals by a fraction of a second. Had a great time shutting down all the rice rocket fanboys in their stripped down Hondas and that was with all my personal junk still in the car.:dance:
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #12

Hello Escy,

found your built thread on pistonheads.
Porsche Boxster 986 - engine swap project - Page 1 - Readers' Cars - PistonHeads

Hope you'll get it on the street soon.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #13

Because you win dosen't always mean your car, bike, boat, plane or whatever is faster, their just not as skilled. Someone at your skill level might or might not win.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #14

Markus,
What an impressive project in your link !
Porsche Boxster 986 - engine swap project - Page 1 - Readers' Cars - PistonHeads
In one of the Audi V8 swap Threads here I had suggested the Audi V6 as a more practical alternative but was ignored. Moot point because in USA the ever tightening Smog rules make engine swaps in modern cars in most States impractical.
Imagine how much more reliable/cheaper/profitable the Boxster would have been with this engine from the start. Not to mention the power upgrade with a TT option. And since it had an Audi engine it would have been differentiated from the 996/997.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote