Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 AM   #1

Question Please help me measure in a 986 Boxster

Hi
I’m new to this forum and I don’t know if I post these questions in the right category, but I will give it a try.

I am doing some major modifications on both chassis and the body of my car. As the car is not in the same location as I am at the moment, I can only calculate and plan. In my sleepless night I came to realize that the space in the Boxster might be too tight, or hopefully not.. I’m kind of worry that it will spoil my plans, therefore I need to get some measurements from you.

So, if you have a Boxster 986 in your parking space, garage, workshop or compound, and of cause something to measure with. Then please help me with a few simple measurements as shown in the picture below.

1st. Most important is the measure between the middle of the car (I guess that’s the center of the ventilation) to the steering column. The Yellow arrows in the picture point at the middle of the steering wheel but I guess it’s easier to measure above the column in front of the tachometer.

2nd. I need the distance of the seats as the Red arrows shows, it’s probably much more accurate to measure as shown by the Green arrows.

3rd. The measure between the Blue arrows would also be appreciated, even if it’s not an exact measurement.

Thanks a lot, your help is very appreciated.
/Anders

AndersK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #2

Garage
We will provide nothing until you further describe your "major modifications" to the group - preferably with pictures. :-)
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #3

I like to see mods and pictures. Its all about pictures, and mods

more muuddss
Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
We will provide nothing until you further describe your "major modifications" to the group - preferably with pictures. :-)
Why?
I guess you are just curious now?
Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #5

I can give measurements 1 & 2 when I get home but not the rest as I don't have the OEM seats installed. Actually #2 might not be accurate either (aftermarket seats may be slightly offset from OEM positions) but I can do measurement 1 for sure
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #6

How about we try something new. "Internet Kidnapping"

One measurement for one picture (or one post desc his project) and once his challenge is completed we give Anders the choice to leave or stay and publish what he's about to do to a NZ Boxster in the DYI section. Entirely up to him to decide

Come on guys, I know kidnapping is totally illegal, but we need more of these DIY and cool members. Cool pictures, muds, no, anyone feeling totally outlaw here?
Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I like to see mods and pictures. Its all about pictures, and mods

more muuddss
You guys have to be patient, as I mention in my first post, "the car is not in the same location as I am at the moment, I can only calculate and plan", I am currently too far away to just go out there and snap pictures. If I were there now, then I could have taken my measurements by myself and not have to ask others for information, right?
I know it's all about pictures, but unfortunately there is not much to show yet. Then I also want to know if my plans will be successful BEFORE I reveal the big plans. But I can tell that it's a crashed vehicle and I want to use the chassis with an other body, like a kit-car, body swap or something.
I have done some custom builds and even body swap on a cars before, so I know how important it is to prepare the build very well.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I can give measurements 1 & 2 when I get home but not the rest as I don't have the OEM seats installed. Actually #2 might not be accurate either (aftermarket seats may be slightly offset from OEM positions) but I can do measurement 1 for sure
Thanks Steve, I appreciate that, measurement no.1 is the most important anyway.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 02-09-2016 at 09:12 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersK View Post
I have done some custom builds and even body swap on a cars before, so I know how important it is to prepare the build very well.
Geez sounds like too much already. Gives an idea of how much Boxster car worth in NZ. More than AU I'm guessing :/

Cool, luck with the measurements. I'd help but the car is shed-up atm and possibly being poo'ed over its cover by his hosts (pigeons).
Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersk View Post
hi
i’m new to this forum and i don’t know if i post these questions in the right category, but i will give it a try.

I am doing some major modifications on both chassis and the body of my car. As the car is not in the same location as i am at the moment, i can only calculate and plan. In my sleepless night i came to realize that the space in the boxster might be too tight, or hopefully not.. I’m kind of worry that it will spoil my plans, therefore i need to get some measurements from you.

So, if you have a boxster 986 in your parking space, garage, workshop or compound, and of cause something to measure with. Then please help me with a few simple measurements as shown in the picture below.

1st. Most important is the measure between the middle of the car (i guess that’s the center of the ventilation) to the steering column. The yellow arrows in the picture point at the middle of the steering wheel but i guess it’s easier to measure above the column in front of the tachometer.

2nd. I need the distance of the seats as the red arrows shows, it’s probably much more accurate to measure as shown by the green arrows.

3rd. The measure between the blue arrows would also be appreciated, even if it’s not an exact measurement.

Thanks a lot, your help is very appreciated.
/anders
1) 13"
2) 26"
3) 46"

Accurate, not estimates.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
1) 13"
2) 26"
3) 46"

Accurate, not estimates.
Thank you so much !!
Old 02-10-2016, 02:08 AM   #13

Thanks to all for comments and especially the help with the measurements.

I’ve now calculated on the cars and I’ve come to the conclusion that almost everything fits pretty well, except for one little annoying thing. The steering wheel will be too close to the inside of the door, there is just about 37mm space left with the original steering wheel and about 45mm left with the slight smaller sport steering wheel. 45mm space is way too little to maneuver the vehicle in a safe way, and I will scrub off the skin on my hand against the door, lol.

Solutions: hmm … it may be possible to move the steering column a little bit towards the middle of the car, but I don’t really like that. Firstly, there is not much space to do that modification, fuel tank and brake servo makes it very limited but probably enough. Second, the alignment seat position– steering wheel – instrument cluster will not be that nice any longer. Things like this are what makes a Porsche stand out in perfection compared to most other cars, I don’t really want to destroy such of an excellent design. There are also not enough space to follow that move with the seats to get back in alignment

Decision: I will not buy the salvage boxster this time and I will now put my plans on hold.

Thanks again for the provided help.

Last edited by AndersK; 02-10-2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersK View Post
Thanks to all for comments and especially the help with the measurements.

I’ve now calculated on the cars and I’ve come to the conclusion that almost everything fits pretty well, except for one little annoying thing. The steering wheel will be too close to the inside of the door, there is just about 37mm space left with the original steering wheel and about 45mm left with the slight smaller sport steering wheel. 45mm space is way too little to maneuver the vehicle in a safe way, and I will scrub off the skin on my hand against the door, lol.

Solutions: hmm … it may be possible to move the steering column a little bit towards the middle of the car, but I don’t really like that. Firstly, there is not much space to do that modification, fuel tank and brake servo makes it very limited but probably enough. Second, the alignment seat position– steering wheel – instrument cluster will not be that nice any longer. Things like this are what makes a Porsche stand out in perfection compared to most other cars, I don’t really want to destroy such of an excellent design. There are also not enough space to follow that move with the seats to get back in alignment

Decision: I will not buy the salvage boxster this time and I will now put my plans on hold.

Thanks again for the provided help.
Sorry to hear, sounds like it would have been fun!

Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
986 , boxster , dashboard , measure , steering column