Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Rear speakers in standard audio Boxster?

I bought my boxster as the base of the car was a stunning example in amazing condition, and with the thought in mind that I'd add most of the optional extras myself (heated seats, parking sensors, OBC, cruise, etc).

Unfortunately one of the things it didn't come with was the Bose system. Or door speakers, for that matter. It's just got dashboard speakers and, whilst they're 'okay', I'd like to upgrade.

What cost effective options do I have to implement speakers in the rear compartment? Bare in mind that I've got the most standard audio setup by the looks of it with dash-only speakers, so I'm not sure what I'd have to do in terms of wiring, etc?

I've looked online at a few articles and people have upgraded their rears, but I don't have any to start with so I'm no idea where to start.

Help!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Get a rear storage compartment and add the speakers there. Saw one later for sale here or on rennlist.

It makes a huge difference and you can actually hear music with it
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #3

Garage
I actually think the rears make little difference. The door speakers make a huge difference though!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #4

Definitely get some nice door speakers in there. They provide a much richer, fuller sound than do the smaller rears (typically). Ideally though you do both. The Boxster has a nice cabin for sound IMO. You put a nice system in there, it can sound really good.

Lots of DIY on the forums - do a search and you will find a ton of info. Also lots of youtube videos out there.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

I already have a rear compartment, but no speakers.

This is the question though - I'm not sure how I'd go about wiring them up. Every article I've found is with people upgrading their existing sound systems, so the wiring is there. I don't have any rear or door speakers, so I'm guessing they wouldn't be there.

If I were to add door speakers, I'd have to wire them in and, from what I've heard, installing new wires into these doors is a nightmare. Which is why I'm more inclined to do the rears.

Thanks for the help though guys, but unfortunately we're back to the beginning question of how I'd go about wiring in some extra speakers when I've got a bog standard audio layout in the boxster!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 02-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Get a rear storage compartment and add the speakers there. Saw one later for sale here or on rennlist.

It makes a huge difference and you can actually hear music with it
I'd love to, but again it's a question of how to wire them in.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Rear speaker kits replace the two cubbies with four 3.5" speakers, two on each side. Cars that did not come with the kit are not wired for it, and the instructions are available online. Basically, once you install the speakers, you run a wire under the passenger door sill, and can either connect it to the head unit for 15W or upgrade to a 6x40W 996 amplifier and run it to the trunk through the firewall.

There is a ton of info on rear speaker, door speaker, and amplifier upgrades online, and if the kits are no longer available download the parts manual PDF from Porsche and order the parts directly. It is also important to note that the Bose rear speaker setup is not compatible with non-Bose audio systems, so you can't plug and play a Bose rear speaker setup. You have to install the regular rear speaker upgrade or change the entire audio system to Bose.

Best,
-Rick
Old 02-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

And we are back to suggesting - use the search function. There are a dozen good write-ups on how to wire up a new sound system. If you are half-way knowledgeable, these cars aren't any more difficult than any other car for wiring sound. If you aren't, then take it to your local sound guy and get him to do it.
It's not overly complicated if you are looking for a simple upgrade.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
You can buy the kit on eBay or from suncoast. The kit is easy t install and includes all the hardware and wiring. I put me in. A year or so ago and it makes a big difference. I had the same as you, basic radio a dust dash speakers. I also upgraded my dash speakers.

Don't have any door speakers, so I can't comment on what they add. The factory door speakers are small subs, not full range. From. What I know, it is a PITA to add door speakers as you need to add connections to the door multi pin connector.

I would add the rear speakers and upgrade the dash speakers and see how that works for you before doing any other additions to the stereo
Old 02-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #10

Great stuff. Sorry guys I knew there were guides online but I couldn't figure out if the people who wrote them had existing wires to the rear compartments or not. That's cleared a few things up

I'll most likely replace the head unit to an aftermarket one soon so that'll have additional plugs for speakers. That should do the trick.

Thanks for clearing it up lads, much appreciated.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 AM   #11

Recently replaced my rear speakers as they were installed in 2000 and the paper cones had begun to disintegrate. I bought replacements from Madisound - 4 ea. 3" speakers ($20 ea.). They did not fit in the factory mounting bracket without a bit of Dremel work, but the difference in sound is worth the effort. Several write ups across this and other forums have all of the info needed to do this, including instructions on making the needed brackets for 3.5" and even 4" X 6" speakers, and how to run the wiring along the passenger side. It really is easy to do.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
This is the question though - I'm not sure how I'd go about wiring them up.
The kit from Suncoast contains instructions and all the wiring you need, including the connector to plug into the rear of your radio. There is no "existing wiring."

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Boxster Rear Speaker Kit
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #13

I have a very nice rear shelf with the 4 speakers and the upgrade door speakers with the large resonance boxes. PM for price & details.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #14

Would be a bit difficult seeing as I'm in the UK, but I appreciate your offer mate.

Thanks for all of the info guys, I'm glad to see it's quite common. For some reason I could only find people 'upgrading' their rear speakers as oppose to 'adding' ones that weren't there at all. Thanks for the help! Will be quite a good project I think

Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
There is a place in the UK that does the rear speaker upgrade as well
You will have to search a little on the web
Old 02-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #16

Interesting. Thanks

Old 02-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #17

Garage
I wanted to chime in here because I've done the speaker upgrade process. I did't have the rears originally wired in, so I had no wires running back there. Because of that, I had to run my own wires to the rear. This is pretty easy and straight forward. I did have the factory "Hi-Fi" system (the hi-fi used here is subjective), so I had wires running to the dash and doors. With out this option, running wires to the dash would be easy. BUT, running wires to the doors would be much harder. All electrical connections to the door go through a harness on each door. You'd have to figure out a way to run the speaker wires through that harness. I've no idea how you'd do that.

One nice thing about the way the older Miatas were built is that all of them were wired for every option. Even if the feature wasn't there (power seats for example), the wires were. It cut down on the production costs as there was no need to build different harnesses for different cars.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
I wanted to chime in here because I've done the speaker upgrade process. I did't have the rears originally wired in, so I had no wires running back there. Because of that, I had to run my own wires to the rear. This is pretty easy and straight forward. I did have the factory "Hi-Fi" system (the hi-fi used here is subjective), so I had wires running to the dash and doors. With out this option, running wires to the dash would be easy. BUT, running wires to the doors would be much harder. All electrical connections to the door go through a harness on each door. You'd have to figure out a way to run the speaker wires through that harness. I've no idea how you'd do that.

One nice thing about the way the older Miatas were built is that all of them were wired for every option. Even if the feature wasn't there (power seats for example), the wires were. It cut down on the production costs as there was no need to build different harnesses for different cars.
Hey Tony, hope all is well there with you!

If you would need to re-do all that, some latest kit are avail in the WI-FI range with pretty fast mhz processors. Can easily playback FLAC content as opposed to old Bluetooth which couldn't Converts your wired/3.5mm/RCA speakers in WIFI-speakers is what it does really (screw wires). You can get those kit in 2, 4, 6 or 8 channels for $60 or little more. Sure you can now find those on eBay. If not you'll see them soon enough, haven't searched.

That what the BoxxBoomBox looks like here. Looks smarter with the fabric cover. Subs, mids and all in one 90cm wide package (also wifi). Fits like a glove, sounds orchestral-ly beautiful, 150 watts, etc (kindly retrofitted by mfg for DC current).

My Sepultura Kairos album finally works in my boxster car lolllll
Old 02-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #19

Looks much much smarter, mini stuff with big power, I like!!! Even has a mini remote. Heaven

Old 02-08-2016, 04:45 AM   #20

You might want to think about adding a sub under the passenger seat.
They are relatively small but from what I heard do add a bit of bass needed to our cars.

Not talking about making the car sound like it has a bunch of loose cans rattling around in the trunk either.

You are running the wires for the rear speakers any way.

emore93 is offline   Reply With Quote