Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #1

Erratic Oil Level Countdown

Hi everyone:

I noticed several months ago that the oil level gauge on the dash changed behavior. Originally, the gauge would count down over long times (50 minutes+) after the engine was hot and had just stopped running a few moments before. Now, it always does the 4 or 5 second count down just like its cold. I've changed the oil level sensor, but the short countdowns still continue.

Does anyone have any suggestions what else might be the problem?

Thanks

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #2

I've noticed this too but haven't really cared to look into. I'm old school and trust in what I can see, the dipstick. Still would be curious to the reason as it is odd. Not sure why you would ever have to wait 50 minutes. You just started the engine and turned it off before the oil got to operating temps which with 9 quarts takes a bit of time.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #3

Garage
My 2000 S did the exact thing...
I replaced the 'not so cheap' sensor' next to the oil cooler. It's a pain to get out and back in due to the length of it... but doable! The problem I had with mine was that oil had seeped up into the connector portion of the sensor and basically coming out around the pins. Sorry didn't take a picture of it, but basically after the sensor swap everything worked normal again.

Heiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Hi everyone:

I noticed several months ago that the oil level gauge on the dash changed behavior. Originally, the gauge would count down over long times (50 minutes+) after the engine was hot and had just stopped running a few moments before. Now, it always does the 4 or 5 second count down just like its cold. I've changed the oil level sensor, but the short countdowns still continue.

Does anyone have any suggestions what else might be the problem?

Thanks

Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote