Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #1

Went to pick my daughter up from school in the Boxster and brake went to the floor

I went to pick my daughter up from school in the Boxster and the brake went to the floor. I was backing down my sloped driveway and had the wheel at full lock left when it happened. (So I was wondering if the wheel hit the line and stressed it or something? I am running stock boxster wheels with stock offsets and 225/45/17 sumis so I think I am all good there.)

I just changed wheels the other day and everything was good then.

It is leaking from the join between the caliper hard line and the stainless brake line. But not from the bottom, it is coming over and through the top of the bracket. I tried to tighten it up a little in case it got loose somehow but it was pretty tight already.

I have an event Sunday, so luckily:

1. I tried to take this drive today, or else I could have discovered this as I pulled out Saturday evening to go down south.
2. My friend Ed has a 996 with a set of stainless brake lines he never installed that he is giving to me.
3. I have a set of caliper hardlines that I didn't use when I put the stainless brake lines on last October so I can swap a new caliper hardline in.

So hopefully I will have this fixed up tomorrow.

Out of all the jobs I have done on the car, replacing the stainless lines was the worst and messiest.

I have heard if I block the brake pedal down a little bit it can help prevent the oozing of brake fluid. I also heard that if I take the top of the brake fluid reservoir and put some saran wrap and screw the lid on it will seal it and help slow the fluid from dripping out (like putting your finger over the end of a straw...)

Blah... if I had it to again I would not have messed with the brake lines... or else gotten a shop to do it.

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

Fixed, couldn't get a stainless line on short notice so went with an ATE line.

Dang that is the worst picture...
Old 09-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Garage
Congratulations on job well done. I took my box (Poor Poor lowly base not an S) to the indie to have the stainless lines installed. Don't know what he did but he appeared to not spill one drop of fluid while changing them.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

I bow down to his skill I blocked the brake pedal and it made a huge difference, barely any dripped out this time. It was much better
Old 09-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Glad to hear that you got it fixed in time and let us know how the event went!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote