Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #1

Garage
tire replacement feels sloppy

I had new Goodyear Eagle Sport all season tires installed on the back. I have Goodyear Eagle all season tires on front. The suspension feels a bit sloppy now.

jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:18 AM   #2

Never mix tires.....brands or models.

Check tire pressures.
Check wheel bolt torques (96 ft.lbs.).
Are they directional, on the right side?

It is most likely the mold release that has not scrubbed off yet. Takes about 200-400 miles.

How old are the fronts? Check the DOT code date. If more than 5 years old, replace ASAP.

A new all season tire is going to have a bit more "flex" in the tread blocks. This will feel "sloppy".
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #3

Garage
One other thing to keep in mine, new tires have more tread - Obviously - the old ones were closer to a slick.
I replace my rear tires, all 4 are same tire, and I notice that the back end didn't seem as responsive.
My thinking is that the old tires being worn and closer to slicks responded better with less flex then the new tires because with all that tread, the tire will flex a bit more. It has gotten better now that I have a few thousand mile on them.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #4

New tires = improved wet traction and decreased dry traction compare to worn out/shaved tires.

They also need to be broken in first.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #5

You can certainly mix tires as long as you keep the same tires and approximate tread depth on an axle. One of my Boxsters was delivered from the factory with 2 different treads (Pirelli) designed for each axle and N-rated too. The strict German tire requirements due to their highway speeds allow different tires as long as the same tires are on an axle. Once had a blowout and had to negotiate a replacement with a rental company and the tire store in Germany and the tire store was required by German law to replace two even if only one went bad and the rental outfit had to pay for two.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #6

1. Check air pressure. Whomever did your tires might have forgotten to check the air pressure up front.

2. Although they're both all season tires(front and back), check to see if maybe the new tires have a stiffer/softer designed sidewall.

3. Runflats?
Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks! All insight. All 4 tires are the same Goodyear series. The fronts show very minimal wear. Rears new. I checked tire pressure, driver's rear was about 40.5 and the passenger rear was about 42.5. I brought them both back down to around 38. I haven't driven it yet. That will happen tomorrow. The slicks in combination with stiff sidewalls, vs more traction and softer sidewalls sounds just like what I saw.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
It is most likely the mold release that has not scrubbed off yet. Takes about 200-400 miles.

A new all season tire is going to have a bit more "flex" in the tread blocks. This will feel "sloppy".

+1 What Flav said ^^^. Give them a little time to scrub in.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote