Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Rear main fail, should I then replace?

Hi guys, I got the car taken to the dealer here and the rear main is leaking oil. The O2 sensor bank2 says that no circuit is also detected. My lovely car is an old 99 standard 2.5? The car has about 75k on it and I got quoted $2300 thus far for just the rear main.

I have read some stuff here but pretty clueless as to everything lol. But here is what else is going on, the car idles now from around 700 but 950 on start and I am sure it used to be 600 when I took ownership around 2 years ago.

The gear shifting on the tiptronic now kinda jumps forward a little faster when going to the next gear.I notice when I am smoothly accelerating it does not have that rougher jump to thenext gear where you can kind of feel it. Also Idont know if the revs shoot up but sometimesthere is a dead zone at the low end of the rpm in third almost like it lags if I want to go faster.

Nowi asked the dealer that I will be going to the 986 forum to ask questions and advice and he agreed that if I buy extra parts myself he would be willing to fit them.

Guys I really take all advice with total gratitude and thank any one in advance for advice.

madskilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Garage
$2300 is nuts for RMS alone. I just did a new clutch, flywheel, clutch fork, slave cylinder. Parts and labor totaling $3100 out the door.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #3

The dealership is called valleyimports and I was thinking it was spendy. I have a family member who knows cars and worked as a mechanic for trucks. He does not have a lift however to get it up and under it.

I asked the dealer about the ims and he told me that he does not have the extraction tool. I may try another Porsche dealer ship or if some guys chime in what they got there cars ims replaced for it could give me room to haggle for the rest of the parts I may consider getting fitted.

I was thinking clutch, flywheel and ims?

I should add that for the 60k service they wanted $1900 when I called to inquire before my car got probs.

Last edited by madskilz; 07-23-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

1. Buy the Bosch part they sell to Porsche and take it to any muffler shop and for around a half hour labor they will fit it for you. More info and part number here. ~$78 at Amazon.

2. How bad is the leak? Can you live with it? There is a new improved part (Around $40 IIRC) but you have to remove the transmission and, because it is a TIP, the labor hours are much more than they would be for a manual transmission.

3. The motor may be shifting because the front motor mount is worn through. Not an expensive part.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #5

I can live with it as it seemed alot worse than it was. There is about a cup of oil on the garage floor and now that I have been monitoring it it seems like a couple of drips appear when the car is stopped. I am just concerned now that the idle on start has jumped around 300 rpm.

Is the fact that its a tiptronic justify the dealer cost of $2300.

Edit...Wow I was just checking the kenny boxster youtube channel and I notice vibration from behind the seats Ithis may explain the jerky shify. Here is another thing I just recently noticed, I do get that clicking noise when turning out the garage but its only when I am making sharper turns like onto a street etc. I bet themotor mount need replaced too!

Last edited by madskilz; 07-23-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskilz View Post
I got the car taken to the dealer here and the rear main is leaking oil.
Did they drop the transmission to come to this conclusion? Otherwise, how can they tell if it's the RMS or IMS?

Typically you'd want to do both if the tranny is already out.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #7

Find yourself a good independent Porsche shop. I have one that's factory trained and charges $80/hr. He did my RMS and IMS for $1,300. I dropped the car off in the earlier morning and had it back by 5 pm with my old RMS and IMS as parting gifts.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #8

Mad, I see you're in MN? If your willing to learn and part with some beer, we need to talk.

1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
ltusler is offline   Reply With Quote