Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

URGENT - tire issue

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/NissanEnthusiast007/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

So I just finished an oil change, and when I was taking the car down I saw that the driver's front tire had some issue. The rubber seems to have torn near the valve stem, as seen in the above picture.

Tire pressure is normal, and I don't hear any other noises. Have a 2 hour trip tomorrow though, so want to make sure I'm not risking a blowout. What do you all think? Has anyone seen this before?

TuftsAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
your bead is damaged and it could be dangerous to drive
Get a new tire ASAP
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
your bead is damaged and it could be dangerous to drive
Get a new tire ASAP
Agreed, I had that one time but a little further up the sidewall (no bead damage but the outer part of the tire was separating from the inner part, possibly due to curb strike) Very scary. Replace asap.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Agreed, I had that one time but a little further up the sidewall (no bead damage but the outer part of the tire was separating from the inner part, possibly due to curb strike) Very scary. Replace asap.
Thanks for both of your quick responses. I'm currently running on Michelin pilot super sports. 225/40-ZR18. Is that the recommended tire? How much should I expect to spend for the two front tires? trying to find someone open now that has this size.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
You're already nervous about it... that's going to make your trip no fun even if nothing goes wrong. Just run by the tire shop and get it replaced. That's one reason I usually get my tires from Discount and take the road hazard plan. Pay a bit more up-front, worry a lot less...
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuftsAuto View Post
Thanks for both of your quick responses. I'm currently running on Michelin pilot super sports. 225/40-ZR18. Is that the recommended tire? How much should I expect to spend for the two front tires? trying to find someone open now that has this size.
I would want the same 4 kind of tires. Costco and Sam's carry the MPSS which is a very good tire. If you absolutely have to drive it tomorrow then you are kind of stuck. If you can take another car maybe you could buy just one MPSS from tire rack and havecthem shave it to the tread depth of your other front.

You probably would be ok if you got another brand of max perf summer tires on the front but I like all 4 the same.

4 new Sumitomo HTR Z III would probably be cheaper than 1 or 2 new MPSS and I a good tire, it is my current street tire.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #7

Garage
Urgent tire issue! is right, anytime you see threads on a tire it needs to be replaced.
I wouldn't drive that tire over 40mph any further than you have to. If you can't get a MPSS in time for your trip buy the closest match in the proper size.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Replace immediately! Simple as that.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! Looking at it, I was pretty sure that replacement was my only course of action, but wanted to get your opinions since I'm a relatively new owner (less than a year).

I called around all afternoon but no one in Boston stocked the Michelin Super Sports. So I went with the Michelin Sport (I think these are the A/S 3 tires) to take care of it for the short term. As an engineer, bothers me to not have all 4 matching, but I will remedy this issue in the coming months. Otherwise, drives well (no pulling to the side, even under heavy braking) so I'm ready for tomorrow's trip.

Definitely will look into the road hazard warranty on tires from now on!
Old 07-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
Artist, 986S tinkerer

4 matching is ideal but 2+2 is okay. I've been running street & track different fronts from rears for a couple of years. You'll not get your best performance on the track but for highway cruising you're just fine.
My opinion, don't quote me.

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote