Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

OBD Question

I have a 98 986 and recently purchased a Durametric Enthusiast setup. Hooked it up and it read the engine, tiptronic & alarm modules. Would not read any of the other modules. Called tech support and was told to check for voltage on the #3 pin with the key in the accessory position. Found 11 DC on that pin when, according to tech support, there should have been 0vdc. Any ideas why I would have voltage on this pin? What can I do to resolve this so I can do a full diagnostic (and reset my air bag light)?

wjcj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
Reebuck1

Garage
Dme

You have a 5.2.2 DME in your 1998 Boxster. Your Durametic is limited by the DME
in your car as to what you are able to read. The newer the DME the more information you can pull from the car. You may not be able to read the data you are trying to retrieve.
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

Durametric website indicates it can read the modules I get an error message on. I'm working finding the source of the voltage on pin 3. Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Garage
I'll subscribe to this thread in the interest of hearing a resolution. Oddly enough, I have the same voltage on Pin 3. I also have not had much success using my Durametric. I even sent it to Durametric who was able to quickly test the cable, finding no fault. On initial startup the application will read engine module, often times allowing the chance to use a few features prior to losing communication. Occasionally on initial startup access can be done one of the other individual modules. At no time has it been possible to actually switch between modules without losing communications. It appears that the car suffers from some issue causing problems with the Durametric software. I have never been able to sort it out. Here is the troubleshooting information from pages 24 to 25 of the manual (if the manual has not been updated with the June 5th upgrade). As an additional note: I pulled all fuses for the audio system and radar detector. My car is 98 with a manual transmission.

Edit: One more thing - Durametric support told me cable had never registered to my car. So I still have three VIN's available....

Initialization failure when trying to connect to a control unit

• cable is not securely connected
• K line short to ground or battery +
• Control unit is faulty
• Control unit not present

Cable LED turns red

• Indicates an electrical short between K1 or K2 and B+ or Between K1 or K2 and ground
• Check for appropriate continuity between the ground, power and communications pin at the diagnostic connector at the car
• Check for electrical shorts by clicking Tools > Tool Information when connected to the car

Cable LED won't turn green

• Confirm there is a secure connection between the Durametric cable and the car
• Confirm the car's ignition is in the 'on' position
• Confirm the car's battery is fully charged or back up power supply is correctly attached
• For CAN bus based car's, awaken the CAN network by switching the key to the 'off' and then to the on position
• Confirm the check engine light appears on the instrument cluster display. Keep the CAN bus awake during diagnostics by turning on the emrgency flashers
• Check for approprriate ground (pins 4 & 5) and 12+ volts (pins 1 & 16) at the diagnostics connector of the car when the ignition is on

Cable not plugged in

• Confirm the cable is securely connected to the USB port on your computer
• Confirm there is power from the car to the cable and the LED on the cables is steady green

Module “failed to initialize”

• Electromagnetic interference: Confirm all stereos, radar detectors, navigation equipment and amplifiers are turned off while performing diagnostics

Last edited by BFeller; 06-08-2015 at 06:46 PM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

On another site, a responder posted the idea that a non-OEM radio installation was at the heart of the issue and that installation instructions/procedures used by some installers had been known to cause the pin-3 issue.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
On another site, a responder posted the idea that a non-OEM radio installation was at the heart of the issue and that installation instructions/procedures used by some installers had been known to cause the pin-3 issue.
I have also heard that 3rd radios would cause a problem. I think it is also documented on Durametrics website. I used the instructions supplied by Crutchfield to install my radio. The radio install was done without cutting the existing harness and used a Metra? connector for the wiring plug. It is also one reason I yanked the radio fuse when troubleshooting. Eventually I figured I would just yank the radio to see if it changed my results.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

Pulled the radio (JVC KD-R530 -looked like a hack job install). Voltage on pin 3 still at 11vdc.

Checked continuity and other pins for voltage - no problems. Would pulling the Nokia amplifier make any difference? If so, how can I pull the connectors from the amp w/o wrecking them.

BTW the cable LED is a solid green. Blinking green when communicating.

THX

Last edited by wjcj59; 06-09-2015 at 04:49 PM.