Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
German Rice Guru

And she waits patiently...

Much more patiently than me! LOL :-)

Jay

2001 3.2L Porsche Boxster S engine w/ 4500 miles

PorscheBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:55 PM   #2

nice. yeah i know the feeling of waiting for your baby
How come you bought a new engine versus converting your existing engine? My shop guy wants to bore my exisiting engine to a 3.4 or a 3.6 and claims it can be done safely and for less then replacing it just to increase to the 3.2 I was just curious but I figure it it wont cost as much for a conversion versus a striaght replacement. Though I have thought about the way you have chosen.....
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:07 PM   #3

How much does your shop want for the boring and rebuild of the engine to a 3.6? Still mated with the 5 speed?
Old 11-10-2003, 01:38 PM   #4
German Rice Guru

As for my reasons why I did it this way... I am still baffled (LOL) It just sort of happened... I had been upgrading my stock 2001 2.7L boxster since it had 17 miles on it...

I put FVD headers, FVD sport cats, Porsche Tequipment Sport Exhaust, Evo Cone intake, Enlarged throttle body, along with lots of other goodies...

I had a friend whom came across this 3.2L 2001 S engine w/4500 miles in perfect condition... He gave me a great break on it and we sold my 2.7L engine... All my upgraded parts will directly fit onto the s engine, the engine doesn't need any modifications to be mounted, and the ease with how cheap the conversion would be... I just couldn't say no!

I just lucked out, once again!
PorscheBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:38 AM   #5

JonnyBGood: I am dont recall what the price my tech said it would be but I do recall it being cheaper then buying a new engine.

PorscheBoy: Well it sounds like you got a good deal that probably was too good to pass up. So if I had been in the same situation I might have done the same thing.

Most people dont have a hookup to get a good price on an upgraded engine, thats probably why I like the idea of just making the one you got better.

Although if someone dropped a 3.2 engine in my lap I would definatly retrofit with 5 speed versus the 6(waste of time IMO) speed and upgrade from there....