Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #1

Locking cams for tensioner replacement.

To replace the external hydraulic IMS camshaft chain tensioner on a 5 chain engine, do you have to lock the cams or can you just pin the crankshaft pulley @ TDC and remove the tensioner?
My 3.2 S engine tends to rattle for a second or two when starting from cold, especially if it hasn't run for several days, so I am contemplating replacing the IMS tensioner. Jake Raby mentioned over on Rennlist that its the IMS tensioner that could be the problem, but I don't have (and cannot get) the camshaft locking tools without great expense here in Australia.
TIA.....

Old 05-13-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Steve,
I'm looking into doing this as well.
Are you going with the newer spring loaded tensioner?

Apparently these can be used on the older 5 chain cars.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #3

That's what I am looking to fit. I'm hoping that the pre-tensioning spring will help with the initial chain rattle on cold startup. Hot startup is no problem, but I suspect that the oil is bleeding down from the tensioner(s) over 24 hours.

I don't know if my MY 2001 car (engine was built late 2000) has the original tensioner without the helper spring as I think the one you show above is a revised version of the original.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:38 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Steve,
I'm looking into doing this as well.
Are you going with the newer spring loaded tensioner?

Apparently these can be used on the older 5 chain cars.
Hey if you want to replace this tensioner there is no need to lock the cams... turn the motor to TDC pull the IMS tensioner (don't turn the motor while its out) and put the new one in... just make sure you pump it up submerged in oil first and you'll be good to go. If you really want to go through all the locking of the cams routine... feel free... I have the cam lock tools here if you need them
:-)
Heiko
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

Garage
I seem to remember some diagrams posted for homemade cam locks.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

Thanks or the heads up Heiko... I'm assuming to are referring to BoxsterSteve re loaning the cam lock tools - I'm a long, long way from ON!
A couple of quick questions for you or the gurus:

1) Any pics of which one is the IMS tensioner?

2) If I wanted to replace all 3 chain tensioners, can I still just lock the crank pulley @ TDC?

3) Do you need to drain the oil before starting?

Thanks everyone
Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I made my own tools. But then I was timing the cams after having replaced the chains and pads. If you just want to change the tensioners, I think that you can just lock TDC to prevent chain slippage, and swap them out. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. No need to drain the oil.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Thanks or the heads up Heiko... I'm assuming to are referring to BoxsterSteve re loaning the cam lock tools - I'm a long, long way from ON!
A couple of quick questions for you or the gurus:

1) Any pics of which one is the IMS tensioner?

2) If I wanted to replace all 3 chain tensioners, can I still just lock the crank pulley @ TDC?

3) Do you need to drain the oil before starting?

Thanks everyone
Well you can borrow them too if you want but yes it might be a wee bit of a ride (you may need floats on the Boxster to get here lol)

If you lock TDC with the pin just make sure you do one at a time and you should be fine... I've done a few and never had an issue as long as you don't turn the engine.
I've always done them in conjunction with and oil change but I'm pretty sure you'll dump some oil doing Bank 1 (passenger side) and the IMS tensioner (lower center) if you don't drain it. Here is the markings on the tensioners to show you where they go.

Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #9

Many thanks Heiko - that just the info I needed.

A Boxster with floats attached.... its a hell of a way across the Pacific and back, I wonder how much fuel I would need before I got to the Canadian West Coast?
Perhaps snail mail does have advantages !!