Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #1

Back-up light switch - electrical connector/wire missing

Recently, I noticed that my back-up lights were not working. I checked fuses and found that they were good. I also visually inspected the bulbs and they looked good as well. After searching on the forums, I found that the back-up light switch was a likely culprit based on the frequency of posts related to that part failing/becoming dirty.

So based on that, I ordered the switch and jacked up the back end of the car to replace it this afternoon. It was easy to find the switch's location, but I was shocked to find that while there was a switch threaded into my 6 speed transmission, there was no wire connecting it to the car. I searched around and stuck my arm into the underside of the car as far as it would fit to try to find the wire, but to no avail.

A little history on the car: I'm the third owner of a 2002 Boxster S with ~68,000 miles. The first owner experienced the IMS failure at ~45,000 miles. Porsche replaced the engine for him with a remanufactured version. I imagine that in doing so, they forgot to connect that wire. My fear is that the needed wire got trapped somewhere above the transmission when they re-installed the engine in the car.

Does anyone know where this wire comes from? I don't have the time or the space to drop the engine, so that's out of the question for me, but I do need to get the reverse lights working. Thanks for your help.

TuftsAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #2

I recently had my transmission out doing the IMS retrofit, clutch etc.
Didn't notice exactly where the wire came from, however it was routed via a clip on the top of the transmission, going all the way forward past where the engine/tranny mate, staying above the tranny. I'd guess the first place to look would be from the top access with the top in the service position. (2004 986 S anniv edn)
Col986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

Fixed! I found that the reverse light switch's cable was wrapped around the EGR system on top of the engine. Looks like the tech who installed the engine forgot to check this part when they installed it. Luckily it wasn't wrapped around something too hot!

TuftsAuto is offline   Reply With Quote