Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #1

98 Porsche Boxster Blue Smoke Start

Ok guys anyone had this issue. One day completely out of the blue my Boxster upon starting sends a hellatious amount of "blueish" smoke into the air. This continues for 30 to 60 sec and then quits or stops when taking off. I have it scheduled to go into the shop tomorrow but with all the engine blowing stories on this forum I am wondering if this is a good time to trade this puppy in on something else?

Keddie
Keddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #2

I have seen this occur with my '97 a couple of times. Usually when the car has sat cold for a while, or when it has been parked on a hill for a while. It dissapates in a few seconds and my dealer told me this was normal for the Boxster, just the way oil accumulates the "flat" engine design. If it's not regular and dissapates quickly my guess is your OK.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #3

Does this happen everytime the car starts or only periodically?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #4

From what I've experienced and heard about regarding Porsche Engine Failure - you're okay. There's generally no big warning sign (excluding dripping RMS) - it just happens....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #5

Hi,

At best it's just some accumulated Oil burning off. At worst, it the Air/Oil Separator.

If the former, don't worry about it. If the latter, it's a fairly inexpensive, fairly easy, DIY fix...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #6

Seeing as this is your first post, I would suggest you use the search button some more and see what posts you can find on this subject. It has been covered a few times already and you should be albe to find answers to just about every question you have from previous threads.

Not trying to be nasty or anything, but you can really find a lot of stuff already covered and it will answer a lot of your questions you may have about the car.

Welcome to 986Forums by the way....
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote