Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #1

Garage
roof problem

hi all,
I have a 1999 986 convertible - brilliant car & apart from the fact it appears to be a magnet for people to reverse into whilst it,s parked (3 times now) !!!! I am really pleased with her.however because the weather has been warmer the last few days I have dropped the hood - working fine but the "cover"when the roof is down is not seating properly on the one side & is standing slightly proud of the body-it also seems to creak when folding down as if the canvas or rear window isn,t folding properly-I have had a good look & can see nothing untoward,broken or sticking - any ideas please
thankyou:

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

I have the same problem. However my cover stays evenly up about an inch. Everything else is fine. I will be curious on what you find too.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

Garage
Swanny, how much is it (the "clamshell") sticking up? Pictures would help.

There's a little plastic clip in the channel where the gasket for the clamshell is that allows you to adjust it to be flush with the body. This has an adjustability range of about half an inch.
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #4

Garage
Wink roof problem

thankyou paul for your reply - the problem is on the drivers side & it stands proud by approx. quarter inch on the "corner" reducing gradually over perhaps 6" & then it lies flat. I will have a look at the adjustment you have mentioned & see if that improves anything. I had wondered if perhaps because the roof hadn,t been lowered during the winter has the canvas stiffened ? although I suppose this would affect all of the roof & the problem would not be just 1 side - thankyou for your help
Old 04-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFan5 View Post
I have the same problem. However my cover stays evenly up about an inch. Everything else is fine. I will be curious on what you find too.
hi there,
perhaps pauls answer may help you - hope so
Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

Thanks I will check. A picture of the plastic clip mentioned would help finding it. How do you adjust this clip? Mine stays up about an inch, evenly though...
Thanks!
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #7

Garage
There is also this website for a lot of information on the soft top:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages/clamshell-adjustment

BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote