Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 02:46 AM   #1

IMS bearings

So i did a little research on 6204 bearings.

There are a lot of different types from different manufactureres out there. So i needed to know more details and found a very good introduction on roller bearings from NSK. Maybe it is also available in english, but i couldn't find.

http://www.tmh-at.de/downloads/files/nsk/Hauptkatalog_-_Waelzlager_-_PDF_-_Teil_A.pdf
http://www.tmh-at.de/downloads/files/nsk/Hauptkatalog_-_Waelzlager_-_PDF_-_Teil_B.pdf
http://www.tmh-at.de/downloads/files/nsk/Hauptkatalog_-_Waelzlager_-_PDF_-_Teil_C.pdf

English infos i found (not the same as above):
Rolling Bearing Catalog Technical Information | NSK

Regards Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

Excellent resource Markus ! Thank you.
This should go in a Sticky(?) because it would answer many of the goofy questions - like axial as opposed to radial load:
http://nskeurope.com/cps/rde/xbcr/na_en/Selection_of_Bearing_Type.pdf
and misalignment.
One geekish subject that has puzzled me is how relevant the precision of the bearing is for our bearing selection.
Is ABEC 7 'better' than ABEC 5 for the IMSB ? Yes, I know there are ISO and DIN ratings of precision in bearings but their scales are too confusing.
Perhaps the ball & cage material(Si3N4 +chrome) are more important ?A bearing like this won't be a utilty grade level of precision -surely it would be at least ABEC 7?
6204-2RS Hybrid Ceramic Sealed Bearing 20x47x14 Ball Bearings 20mm
Note the one review is by "James -for a 996 in Canada"
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:12 AM   #3

Hi,

there are also similar DIN and ISO norms that mean the same. Please take a look at the table: ABEC

I don't know if the ABEC is a most important factor for an IMS bearing. I think there are much more important factors like:
max rpm capacity
static load rating
dynamic load rating
maximum play
axial loadability
materials
type of sealing

Whereas i have to do more research to get into it. Also i have to research what kind of bearing exacty the Prosche IMS bearing is and why they used that type of bearing.

Regards Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 04-05-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #4

Markus,
These people may help you?
Our product range - Deep groove ball bearings - Deep groove ball bearings 62.. · SBN Wälzlager Gmbh & Co. KG, Bearings, Miniature ball bearings, Deep groove ball bearings, Self-aligning ball bearings, Thin section bearings
or :
Ball Bearing Angular Contact S 6204 E TA | GMN Bearings
Viton sealed bearings(remove 1 seal) seem rare.
An alternative - to reduce the consequences of the Buna inner seal from heat degradation may be to use a steel shielded bearing -6204 Z ? Yes, I know there is a Buna seal inside the metal shield of the ZZ bearing but it would be a little better than just the common 6204 -2RS hybrid bearing?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #5

Hi Gelbster,

thanks for the links. Sorry, at the moment i have no spare time to tinker with the bearing topic. So just read a little bit.

There are also sealed 6204 bearings that are proved under vacuum conditions. Because of the over - underpressure in the ims tube on different situations this might be an interesting option. Will do a research, but at the moment there's no time to do it.

Markus