Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Tracks over on white lines.

Hi Guys,
This is the first proper sports car I have owned so I'm a but concerned about this but as the car has hard suspension and low profile 18" tyres. As soon as I hit a white line in the middle of the road my car tracks over quite vigorously, is this normal or are my bushes worn.?
Car has 88k on the chassis, I've replaced one rear left suspension arm and looking to replace the right in a week or so and get it all tracked up but it did this before I replaced the left arm.
Any ideas.?

Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Cheap or mismatched tyres are the main ingredient of tracking (or tramlining). Good quality tyres are mandatory on Porsches.
1)Make sure the tyres are up to spec and at the correct pressure.
2) Have a front & rear wheel alignment at a competent Porsche savvy Indi.
3) Get your new suspension arm fitted to match the other new one.

Bush Tyres are located in Boston, Sleaford & Spalding & supply high quality Porsche/Ferrari tyres Tel 0845 680153 or Tyres, Exhausts, Brakes, Batteries, Alloys & More throughout Lincolnshire - Bush Tyres.
How's windy Boston - I used to live and work in Cleethorpes many years ago......
Old 03-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
Stale, old tires can do this too. What are the build dates on them?
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #4

Also make sure the wheels you have are the correct offset for a Boxster. Too much of the wrong offset will also allow the car to tram.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:06 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys, I've got Pirelli Pzero rosso's on all corners and they are only last years too. I've checked the pressures and they are ok aswell.
So I'll sling that new arm in and get it all tracked up then and go from there.

Hey Steve I know the guys at Bushes, I've used them a lot over the years, time to pay them another visit. Boston is very windy and rainy at the mo, but you're living in a far better place now mate, there is nothing to miss here except for the sweet east european girls
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

Probably a toe out condition. make sure to do an alignment each time you replace suspension pieces

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote