Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Porsche 3-Spoke Steering Wheel

Before I purchase a 3-spoke wheel for my 99 Boxster (tiptronic), I want to know if a 3-spoke tiptronic wheel off a 2002 Boxster will fit with no need for an adapter.

I've read Dempsey's write up on page 211 of 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster concerning steering wheel replacement. I've also found a 3-spoke tiptronic wheel at a local salvage yard (intact with air bag).

After reading a few threads concerning steering wheel upgrades by Dallas Custom Steering Wheel, I decided it would be more cost effective to just replace my 4-spoke wheel with a factory 3-spoke wheel. I've got well over 231,000 miles so this will be my last big update/modification.

I am assuming that there is a connection for the tiptronic to address in addition to the connections for the horn and air bag.

OBTW, what do you think the salvage yard will charge me for the wheel?

Thanks
MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

I have a feeling it will work, but I do not know for sure.

Tip 3 spokes usually go a lot cheaper than non-tip wheels. $200 in good shape?

The airbag's gonna be your expensive item. They're usually sold separately and some guys out there are selling airbags that fit 3 spokes for $400 or more.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #3

Reference the 3-spoke (tiptronic) steering wheel at the salvage yard

1. The 2002 Boxster in their yard that had the steering wheel w/air bag went to the crusher (the employee I spoke to, Tony, said the car had been sitting in the yard for 15 months), but it came up under the salvage yards new arrivals section. Go figure.

2. Fortunately, he has a 2001 Boxster with a black 3-spoke (tiptronic) steering wheel w/air bag and he wants $350.

3. I should have a new steering wheel this weekend. But first I must check with Woody in Bastrop to see if he has a black 3-spoke (tiptronic) available.

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

I have the manual, and the three spoke bolted right on and airbag used the same connector. Huge improvement.

madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote