Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

02 boxster radio code

Can anyone help in obtaining my radio code. Bought the car with the radio locked and there is no booklet. Local dealer wants 1 hour labor charge even when I told them I could remove the radio to get the serial number.

busa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
do a search on this forum and you will find the information you seek
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #3

What and Why?

The Radio Code is a 4-digit code provided by the Radio Manufacturer (Becker makes the radios for Porsche) without which the radio does not function. It was used to provide some assurance that a thief will have trouble using/selling the radio if he doesn't have the code. It was used on '97 thru '02 Boxsters. Later Boxsters don't require the code and use different radios.

The code is required any time the battery is disconnected for a significant time such as for service, a discharged battery, or a battery replacement.

The dealer is supposed to have delivered a credit-card sized plastic card with the Radio Code to the original owner. Look in the leather binder you got with the car. (Of course it shouldn't be stored there because the thief might look for it there.)

What if you don't have the card?

The code is often written inside the front trunk lid on the build sticker or on the build sticker that is inside the maintenance manual by a mechanic who is disconnecting the radio.
And if it isn't there?

The dealer can get the code for you if you provide the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and the serial number of the radio.

Post the serial number of the radio on renntech and there is a kind gent who can get you the code. There is a forum thread specifically for that purpose.

How do I get the serial number?

For a Becker CDR220 (the most common Boxster radio, the one with a CD player inside the detachable front plate) you can turn the radio on with the power button, then press the TP button until Becker 1 appears on the LCD. Then use the right-hand knob to turn to the selection for "Seri:" which is followed by the serial number of the Becker CD unit.

The serial number is also on a sticker on the rear of the radio but you have to pull the radio to get at it. You need Radio pulling forks from Becker to do this. Any car radio shop or the dealer can do this for $$$. But why bother.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #4

Garage
With my Audi S8, I just called Audi of America customer service. Porsche of America would probably give it to you if you give then the vin. Worth a shot. Plus, it would be an elegantly simple solution.
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

Thanks guys. Ill go on renntech.
busa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
did you try a search here?

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/45577-becker-cdr-220-radio-code-2.html
look around post # 55

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote