Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

Garage
Tires

About time to put some new shoes on the boxster. what are your experiences and/or recommendations. the previous owner had continentals on the back and eagle gt on the front.

kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #2

Don't mix and match tires. All the same on all 4 corners.

How do you intend to use the car?

Great tires include:

Michelin Super Sports
Michelin PS2's
Yoko AD08R
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #3

And great budget summer tires are the Sumitomo HTR Z III and the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Don't mix and match tires. All the same on all 4 corners.

How do you intend to use the car?

Great tires include:

Michelin Super Sports
Michelin PS2's
Yoko AD08R
yeah, I'm not a big fan of mixing and matching. but that is how I bought it. I will certainly match them up when I replace.
it is a daily driver, live in the south, so on the rare occasion that it snows I will drive my truck.
I was looking at that model Yoko. I can get 4 for $1000 installed, with a free alignment.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
I was looking at that model Yoko. I can get 4 for $1000 installed, with a free alignment.
The Yoko AD08R is a great tire. High performance. Stiff sidewall. Excellent turn-in. Very sticky. You can autocross and DE this tire too, so you can drive to the event, and drive it home. No tire changes needed. OK in the rain (not as good as the Michelins) and OK for noise.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #6

I just put a set of staggered 18" Goodyear F1 Assymetrics on mine. This is my second set of these. I also have a set of these on my Z4 M in staggered 19". What I like about these is how quiet they are. Also they are wearing so much better than the Continental DWS's I had previously. Also they corner very well indeed. The only downside is they seem to be a little fussy to balance. Took a couple of times.
Good luck
bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #7

Garage
related note

I have a compressor and a inflator with a pressure gauge that I use to check and fill our tires. temps can vary a lot here in TN, 60 one day, 25 the next etc.. so we have to keep a good check on them. the boxster was riding like the tires were under inflated so I check and they were good. later, my wife said here Mercedes tire pressure warning was popping up. checked her tires and they were good. so I dug out my old tire gauge to double check. apparently the gauge on my inflator is off about 10 psi. both cars ride much better now.
moral of the story, always get a second opinion.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillia080261 View Post
I just put a set of staggered 18" Goodyear F1 Assymetrics on mine. This is my second set of these. I also have a set of these on my Z4 M in staggered 19". What I like about these is how quiet they are. Also they are wearing so much better than the Continental DWS's I had previously. Also they corner very well indeed. The only downside is they seem to be a little fussy to balance. Took a couple of times.
Good luck
The Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 is what I'm going with except in 19"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Asymmetric+2&partnum=63YR9F1A2XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #9

I'd see what the cost is without the "free" and likely unneeded alignment.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2

Great price, great performance. I have had them for a few months now and am very happy.
Haven't done an AX with them yet, but lots of back road spirited drives
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 12-19-2014 at 05:53 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:03 AM   #11
Yeast Rancher

Ditto on the Hank00ks. I bought a set from TireRack, $570 delivered. Quiet and sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2

Great price, great performance. I ave had them for a few months now and am very happy.
Haven'tr done an AX with them yet, but lots of back road spirited drives
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Daily driver? Now what points are important to you and we can narrow the field some.

* Regular use below 40 F ambient? All season
* Extra long life? All season
* Wet grip?
* Dry grip?
* Road noise and comfort?
* Low price?

No tire does everything well so prioritize these points and we can offer the best suggestions to meet your needs. If your car has not been aligned in the last year or two I recommend having it done. It will pay for itself in added tire life.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Daily driver? Now what points are important to you and we can narrow the field some.

* Regular use below 40 F ambient? All season
* Extra long life? All season
* Wet grip?
* Dry grip?
* Road noise and comfort?
* Low price?

No tire does everything well so prioritize these points and we can offer the best suggestions to meet your needs. If your car has not been aligned in the last year or two I recommend having it done. It will pay for itself in added tire life.
Damn, I thought I had put all that in my original post. another pitfall of getting old

this is my daily driver, I live in Nashville, TN so we don't get many days below freezing. winter daily temps are usually in the 40's.
we do get quite a bit of rain, but rarely snow or ice, and on those days I would drive the truck.
basically want something that rides well, decent grip (especially in rain) and decent life. I don't really care about the cost, but if I could keep it under $300 per tire (maybe $350 for rear) that would be great.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&frontTire=05WR7ECDWSXL&rearTire=54WR7ECDWS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Porsche&autoYear=2003&autoModel=Boxster+S&autoModClar=&fromTDGResults=true&autoMake=Porsche&autoYear=2003&autoModel=Boxster+S&autoModClar=

I'd look hard at these. Good grip and road manners, good in low temps. Last long time.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #15

Garage
That is what I have on the rear now. came on the car, so no idea what the milage is, but I have put about 10K miles on them. I like the look of them too.

very sticky on dry roads.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #16

I hear what you are saying here but even the guy at Discount Tire here in town remarked how badly the DWS's wear in the middle and that has been my experience also. I cannot recommend them from first hand experience. Shame too because I love Continental tires in general.
bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

I'm with Flav on this - In my experience, the best all around street tires (dry, wet, noise, wear) were Michelin Super Sports or Michelin PS2's. They are kind of expensive but some how do all of those things pretty well.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #18
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillia080261 View Post
I hear what you are saying here but even the guy at Discount Tire here in town remarked how badly the DWS's wear in the middle and that has been my experience also. I cannot recommend them from first hand experience. Shame too because I love Continental tires in general.
Wear in the middle is usually overinflation. I have several friends who DD their Boxsters and like these tires a lot, but no tire suits everyone. There are other brands in the same tire class that offer similar performance from Michelin, Pirelli, and Hankook.

You should expect to get around 20k miles if you DD these Contis with proper inflation and alignment. I get about 5k miles on my Hankook RS-3s but it is mostly canyon carving and track work. Very different objectives.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #19
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I'm with Flav on this - In my experience, the best all around street tires (dry, wet, noise, wear) were Michelin Super Sports or Michelin PS2's. They are kind of expensive but some how do all of those things pretty well.
I like the grip and road manners of those in SoCal too. They don't work so well in low temps below 50F ambient and don't last very long compared to an A/S tire though. These were important points to the OP. Lots of tires, lots of choices and there are always tradeoffs.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #20

ZII Star Spec.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote