Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #1

Garage
A few questions on getting ready for the new DE/auto-x season

We're anxiously awaiting the start of the new season with the new 987--hopefully the weather will break soon-- and just wanted to make sure I've got everything covered. Would appreciate opinions on the following.

Jack pad:
I used to have the link for the jack pad that fits the 986/987 jacking point with the center post that fits into the hole--anyone have it?

Digital Air pressure gauge:
my Longacre gauge that is at least 6 years old and last year was starting to give erratic readings; is there a battery in it that might need to be replaced?

New Helmet:
Our SA1995 Simpson open face needs to be replaced; any major differences between Simpson and Bell helmets?

Head socks:
Are they all made of Nomex? Just looking for something simple when I let somebody borrow my helmet.

Tires:
I bought an extra set of 987 18's with PS2's that we'll use for DE's; I've got a set of 17" Boxster style wheels that I've used for auto -x (7" F/8.5" R) and need to replace the VictoRacers. I've posted this before but am still on the fence. 245/45/17's all around or 225/45/17's on the front?

Paint protection at DE's:
I've seen where some people put clear plastic on the hood and fenders to avoid chips; what's a good source for this type of plastic sheet?

Thanks for any help with this

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:09 PM   #2

DE stuff

Honestly, any of the Snell approved helmets will do the job just fine. In 14 years of doing DE's I've only seen two or three head socks and those were worn by folks in full race cars.
The plastic on the hoods can be permanent with a DuPont product. I actually use the carpet protector material used on construction projects. I buy that from Lowes and Home Depot. That product is about $10 a roll. The blue painter's tape works too and neither product leaves a residue.
twilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #3

If you're not required to use an SA certified helmet, then I'd look into an HJC. I love mine, and you can buy 'em at motorcycle shops so you can try it on for fit first. Cheap too.

You can get non-nomex headsocks for karting..

http://www.saferacer.com/spcoho.html

I'd check ebay for this you can probably score it really cheap there.

BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote