Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Question performance enhancement

I want to give my 201 hp 2.5L 1999 Boxster a power boost. I know I have various options > air intake, exhaust headers, chip reprograming, bolt-on supercharger, etc. My question (first of many no doubt) is what other changes, if any, would have to be made to accomodate these power enhancements? Are all of the changes mentioned within the tolerances of the stock engine? Also, any recommendations on aftermarket companies?

wwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:59 PM   #2
Forum Contributor

I have a 2001 S, and I just installed the B Boat sport muffler. It took about 1 1/2 hours with no welding, plenty of cussing, but it fit like it was supposed to fit. I should have waited till the old muffler cooled off, (hence the cussing) but I wanted to get it done.
Now that it is over, I'm not overjoyed with the part. Probably it gives it a bit more breathing, but the noise level is not what I expected. (a little too tin ney for me.) If my old muffler was giving me problems, then I would have not thought much about the change, but it was in perfect health. I'll probably leave it, but I don't enjoy my stereo as much. Air intake first, might have been a better choice me-but not sure.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:19 AM   #3

Out of all of the aftermarket exhaust systems out there I would recommend doing the Gemballa headers, high flow cats and the muffler. It is by far the best sounding throatiest sounding exhaust for the boxster available. however it is probably the most expensive. It cost me about 4500 to upgrade all 3 on mine and it sounds awesome. The Gemballa kit is very well made and stainless steel throughout so looks nice from the rear end.
With this and a good air intake, my preference is the T-T-P intake, I would suggest having your ECU enhanced by having your ECU reprogrammed on a Dyno so your air/fuel ratios dont get out of wack.
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 12:12 AM   #4

How much extra power does each give?
Yoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:34 AM   #5

Well according to my last Dyno with my setup of upgraded parts I got about 60 additional HP from doing complete swap on exhaust system(headers back including high flow cats) and adding intake and ECU Programming. All of these things cost just under $7,000.
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:49 PM   #6
Forum Member

Good feed back. Thanks. Any thoughts on my "tolerances" question. Dealers bad mouth upgrades saying thay'll blow out engines, etc. etc. How much truth is there to that. I know why I should upgrade performance. :-) Any compelling mechanical reasons NOT to upgrade, things to watch out for, etc.?
wwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:19 PM   #7

Well I dont know about overall, long term engine life as a result of additional performance, but a few people have told me not too worry too much about that. With all my performance mods and ones to come I anticipate 100-120 k mileage and if I still have car swap the engine out for a better one. FYI my 2k has 27k miles on it.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:41 PM   #8
Forum Contributor

Hi guys, I am thinking of modify mine too. However, my concern is these mods may cause the car fails the Smog Test.
Does anybody has this problem. I know, I live in CA and the smog law is very strict.

Last edited by natzee; 11-03-2003 at 05:45 PM.
natzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:58 AM   #9

I am not really sure how it will affect you...Anyone have some first hand knowledge?
Old 11-04-2003, 02:43 PM   #10

natzee, if you want to watch a smog inspection on a Boxster in San Jose then contact me. Been done 3 times on my 1997. What is a visual inspection.

Now we have the rollers as of July. A report from your DME/check engine light is sent electronically to the DMV computer with OBDII. If it does not like it you failed. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:27 PM   #11
Forum Contributor

Thanks for the Info Jeff. I actually have mine done last month at Speed Dee. They did put it on the rollers :-).

By the way, I notice you have some DVDs (how to). Are you selling them? Do you have a website where I can find out more?
Old 11-06-2003, 02:59 AM   #12
Unregistered

Looking at there site they have nice looking products. I sure would like to see them more closer. If you have extra images before and after with the parts I sure would like to see them as the air intake looks to be different from most other sellers. Also if your dyno sheet would be nice to look at as well. I'm sure everyone would like to see them as well.

Stanislaus R.R.
Houston, Texas - USA
www.rothbauer.us
Old 11-06-2003, 03:33 AM   #13

After I get it back this weekend, or right afterwards, I will take some pics engine and body and pipes and show you what I am talking about. I will also try to scan my dyno sheet.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:10 AM   #14

jfmillr,

can you send some info on where you got your Gemballa parts and the price for header and 100 cell cats and intake. I'm in Houston, Texas and you can email me at stanislaus@rothbauer.us

Thanks,

stanislaus r.r.

Stanislaus R.R.
Cypress, Texas - USA
www.rothbauer.us

Last edited by Rothbauer_Racing; 02-13-2004 at 06:10 AM.
Rothbauer_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 06:06 AM   #15
Forum Member

Cool performance enhancement

regarding performace options - I sent my 1999 Boxster to ROOCK Automotive in Atlanta 6 months ago. They dropped in a new 3.4L engine, new performance clutch and greatly upgraded the Brembo brakes. WOW- what a difference in performance. This is the way a Boxster was intended to drive. The cost, while not cheap was well worth it. About 15K for the engine/clutch work and 5K for the brakes.
jimervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:37 AM   #16
German Rice Guru

jimervet,

I am jealous! Enjoy it! I am sure it is worth every penny:-)

PorscheBoy (Jay)
PorscheBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:45 AM   #17

what kinda power do the 3.4's put out? Additionally,

if you upgrade 20-30hp over stock, is the stock clutch strong enough to put down the power, or should it be upgraded as well?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:45 PM   #18
German Rice Guru

Adam:

With that kind of hp increase there is no need to upgrade your clutch... Although, it wouldn't hurt either :-)

PorscheBoy (Jay)
PorscheBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 06:10 PM   #19

jimervet
Did that cover the wheels, any interior modifications? I seen the pics at Roock and the black boxster is really nice. What precisely did they do for you for what you paid?
Pilot2519j(Bob) new boxster 2003S owner(old rookie)
Old 01-20-2004, 07:10 PM   #20

There has to be a place in Los Angeles that does similar types of mods. Any experience on this board with LA work??

Vicelike is offline   Reply With Quote