Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
inveniam viam aut faciam

Front engine mount options!

It seems like my front engine mount is failing, or at least seems to have a lot of movement in shifts. I wish that I would have swapped it when I did the water pump this spring.

Are there aftermarket options that don't transmit too much vibration to the chassis, or is it best just to replace with another factory mount?

P.S. That should be a ? not a ! in the title. Sorry.

Last edited by Qmulus; 11-23-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I read about these recently after I changed my mount for a standard one.

http://function-first.com/products/engine-trans/engine-mount-insert
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

I did a lot of research on this a few yrs ago and ended up with an OEM. The part has been upgraded when the 987 was introduced as I recall and that part fits all Boxsters. If you are racing perhaps a more solid aftermarket unit is warranted....otherwise OEM will do ya well.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
inveniam viam aut faciam

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like OE is the way to go for me. I do like hearing that they did an improved factory version.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #5

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
i believe the 987 mount is the default now.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Yes. Mine is the 987 one.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #7

Oh.. I have some pictures to show... LOL of some of the JUNK I have seen released for these cars!! It flat out amazes me what people will purchase to save $5 over a factory part.. LOL sad at the same time
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

.....well another 14 year old item to change out thought I had got all the low hanging fruit without dropping the engine.....all the way
Old 12-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #9

Don't fret! You only have to drop the front of the engine a few inches so one of the bolts clears the chassis

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote