Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #1

Shifter nearly frozen.

Hey folks,

His has been an on and off issue that started subtly about 150 miles ago (about a week) to its present state this morning. My shifter feels like it's set in thick river silt. For those of you that have never have never left a shoe buried on a river bank, my shifter is nearly unloveable. It takes 2 hands to get out of 1st and 2 hands to go into second both positions feel very vague. 3rd is also tough, but at least gives a positive feeling that it's in gear. It's bee cold here as of late and I thought maybe the temp was part off. The issue, but this morning when I left for a haircut it was shifting ok. When I left it when into first just fine. As soon as I tried to grab second, I knew to head straight home. It's so stiff, I'm concerned that I may actually break the shifter assembly trying to force the cables (the assembly itself if a Schnell SS kit and it moves freely). Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

When was the last time the gear oil was changed, and what type was used?

One of the most common complaints we hear about using aftermarket gear oils instead of the OEM stuff is incredibly stiff shifting when cold. As it has been unusually cold this early in your area, this could be your issue.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post

One of the most common complaints we hear about using aftermarket gear oils instead of the OEM stuff is incredibly stiff shifting when cold. As it has been unusually cold this early in your area, this could be your issue.
Bingo! I use a heavier gear oil for motorsport and it gets really stiff in the cold. Warm up the car for a bit and she will shift fine or change to Porsche OEM fluid.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post

Gear oil (Redline 75W90) has 29,000mls and 2 years on it. With regard to temps, I considered the same thing. What's weird is that it shifted fine on initial start. Granted I only had a mile and half to drive, but it went through reverse, 1st, 2nd and 3rd just fine. 25 minutes later it's like filled it with cement...
Old 11-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #5

My first move would be to drain the RL product out. We have had absolutely no luck with it. The only product we put in customer' cars is the OEM lube.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:39 AM   #6

So here's the update. I installed a Schnell SSK about 2 years ago. The shift lever has a roller bearing at the fulcrum. The inner ring and the cage of the bearing failed in such a way as to lock the shifter out of 2nd, 3rd and 6th. I disassembled the shifter and removed the debris that used to be the inner ring of the bearing and all is well now!...for the time being.

I'm still considering a fluid change.

Last edited by shadrach74; 11-30-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

I have a B and M installed in a 986 base for sale....excellent condition and installation!