Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

ground control camber plates

Anybody tried the Ground Control adjustable camber plates? I need about 2.5 degrees negative camber (running slicks) but GC cannot tell me what is possible due to differences between cars , only that their plates offer 30mm more negative adjustment (at the top) beyond stock.

Would appreciate any feedback.

captzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd like to inquire about your current suspension set up and why the need for racing slicks, but I'll just answer the question;

The typical camber plate will provide ~1 deg over stock (so you might get right around -1.9 to -2.1 deg total camber). Very few (if any) camber plates offer enough adjustability to get to -2.5 deg of camber.

Alternatively, some people modify the upper strut mount area (drill out a wider section in the sheetmetal) to get more adjustment. Personally, I do not like this method (IMHO its a bit of a hack) but some have done it successfully.

Otherwise, to get -2.5 deg or more of negative camber, you will likely have to use adjustable lower control arms.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-22-2014 at 10:05 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #3

Thx for the reply. My suspension setup is not yet complete. I am still researching alternatives before ordering the rest of the required components. Hence my question, which specifically asks about the Ground Control brand adjustable front camber plates. These parts offer a greater range of negative camber than the OEM or Spec-class components, plus the adjustability feature will allow experimentation in actual use to optimize the final setup. If I can get enough camber using these plates for less than half the cost of the GT-3 LCA's they are certainly worth being considered.

I have Bilstein PSS-9 coilovers F&R as the basis of the suspension package.

The car is a 2000 year 986S which is being converted to a lightweight dedicated solo competition vehicle. I no longer feel the need to collect more trophies, but in addition to having my own fun the car will be used to train my two sons in car control skills at the limit prior to their running their own machines in actual wheel-to-wheel competition. I choose to run slicks because they not only increase the performance potential of the car but also offer an improved consistency in response. Since I don't care about trophy chasing, and the car will be used only for auto-x, time trials, HPDE, hillclimbs and "track days" I don't care what class It's running in. This provides a lot of freedom in configuring the car for maximum enjoyment. Since you are apparently racing a Spec car you are probably familiar with the "rough guide":

140 TW -1.5deg F camber
100 TW -2.0 deg F camber
40 TW -3 deg F camber
Racing slicks -3-4deg F camber

Several knowledgeable sources have mentioned that they are running 2.5 - 2.8 neg front camber on slicks with 986/996 cars, but what we wind up with will be determined by tire pyrometer readings and real world dynamic feedback.

I would still like to know if anyone on this forum has actually used the Ground Control camber plates and what their experience is/was. All input is appreciated.

captzoom is offline   Reply With Quote