Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #1

987 airbox on a 2.5 worth it or not

Looking to replace my aftermarket intake with the standard airbox, is it worth looking for a 987 airbox or is the standard 986 one fine for the 2.5 motor.

whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecliffs View Post
Looking to replace my aftermarket intake with the standard airbox, is it worth looking for a 987 airbox or is the standard 986 one fine for the 2.5 motor.
i would think the only way to know for sure is if you run some tests / dyno runs with vacum transducers strategically placed in the air box. I think the car would have to be moving (to get the effect of air pressure into the air box). If you are seeing vacum everywhere a bigger air box may help, but you must consider your goals. Throttle response maybe way more useful to you than peak hp.

My gut feeling is that the the air box is just fine for the 2.5, on the edge for the 2.7 and perhaps too small for the 3.2. I have not come across anyone that has worked with a 987 on a 2.5....perhaps others can chime in with their thoughts

You will also loose the helmholtz chamber if you go 987

Last edited by jaykay; 10-14-2014 at 10:40 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #3

yes that was my thinking with it being fine for the 2.5, i'm trying to solve a flat spot ive got at 5400 rpm.
When i disconnected the MAF the flat spot had gone, the MAF's ok as after the flat spot it pulls hard again to the redline
Old 10-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #4

ipd plenum will fix your flatspot
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #5

there's a cheap softronic plenum fs on planet 9 right now ...

Panjo Marketplace
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecliffs View Post
yes that was my thinking with it being fine for the 2.5, i'm trying to solve a flat spot ive got at 5400 rpm.
When i disconnected the MAF the flat spot had gone, the MAF's ok as after the flat spot it pulls hard again to the redline
Still sounds like a fouled MAF. I had a similar problem with a flat spot and no error codes yet. I cleaned the MAF and it improved for a while but came back over time with codes. Replacing the MAF was the cure.

I suspect the 987 airbox on a 2.5L may improve performance slightly above 6krpm but may sacrifice some torque in the 4-6k range. A tradeoff worth taking??? Depends on your goals I guess.

Last edited by Topless; 10-15-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #7

Garage
You realize the 987 air box probably can't be installed without removing the motor. At the very least you will have to take out half the intake manifold. Next the MAF tube is significantly larger than the 986 I believe it is 90MM. Without some programing your air fuel mix will probably be off.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
ipd plenum will fix your flatspot
I already have a pedro techno torque fitted

[QUOTE=Topless;421741]Still sounds like a fouled MAF. I had a similar problem with a flat spot and no error codes yet. I cleaned the MAF and it improved for a while but came back over time with codes. Replacing the MAF was the cure.

The MAF is only a month old and a genuine Bosch one, if the MAF was faulty wouldn't it show up in other areas and not just at 5400rpm because once passed 5600 it pull clean and hard again everytime
Old 10-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
[QUOTE=whitecliffs;421750]I already have a pedro techno torque fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Still sounds like a fouled MAF. I had a similar problem with a flat spot and no error codes yet. I cleaned the MAF and it improved for a while but came back over time with codes. Replacing the MAF was the cure.

The MAF is only a month old and a genuine Bosch one, if the MAF was faulty wouldn't it show up in other areas and not just at 5400rpm because once passed 5600 it pull clean and hard again everytime
If it is brand new Bosch and clean it is probably ok. A flat spot in the rpm range while running fine everywhere else is a common symptom of a failing MAF. It rarely affects the entire upper range unless it is completely fouled.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #10

Installed the standard airbox this weekend and the flat spot as gone, so looks like it was my after market air filter it didn't like
Old 10-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

aftermarket air filters are typically oiled - the oil fouls the maf. happened to me more than once, hence now an advocate for the 987 airbox conversion over any aftermarket filters or intakes.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote