Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #1

Eliminating the MAF all together

Is there any downsides to running without the MAF all together and using the ECU default setting?

Had my car tuned on a rolling road a few months back, now she runs fine and pulls hard but there is a
annoying flat spot at 5400 rpm and with my lightweight flywheel and underdrive pulley the engine hits
that point with ease.

Even after 24 runs we could not remove it

About half way through they disconnected the MAF and as you can see in the chart below the AFR did not spike at 5400 rpm.
The guy said there was the option of removing the MAF all together and remapping the ECU default map

But the next 3 runs after with the MAF disconnected the AFR was all over the place so they reconnected the MAF

Now my MAF was only a month old with less than a 1000 miles and showing no issues

So this morning i disconnected mine and took her for a run, car ran great and the flat spots gone just pulls straight through
now with no apparent loss in power anywhere else.

whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecliffs View Post
Is there any downsides to running without the MAF all together and using the ECU default setting?

Had my car tuned on a rolling road a few months back, now she runs fine and pulls hard but there is a
annoying flat spot at 5400 rpm and with my lightweight flywheel and underdrive pulley the engine hits
that point with ease.

Even after 24 runs we could not remove it

About half way through they disconnected the MAF and as you can see in the chart below the AFR did not spike at 5400 rpm.
The guy said there was the option of removing the MAF all together and remapping the ECU default map

But the next 3 runs after with the MAF disconnected the AFR was all over the place so they reconnected the MAF

Now my MAF was only a month old with less than a 1000 miles and showing no issues

So this morning i disconnected mine and took her for a run, car ran great and the flat spots gone just pulls straight through
now with no apparent loss in power anywhere else.
  1. The flat spot should not be there, so something is wrong.
  2. The car will not pass MOT without the MAF.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Think i need to speak to someone who tuned early 996's from 97 to 99 as they use the same type ECU, cable throttle and MAF

whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote