Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #1

Boxster 98 oil gauge

I have a 98 boxster with 95k miles, I changed my oil with mobile 1 0w/40 2-3 weeks ago and prior to that this problem has been happening so I thought I should change my oil which I was close to the 5k interval mark. But 2-3 of the time when I turn on the car to read the oil gauge it shows me this. But sometimes the gauge would be halfway or 2/3rds of the way full. I was wondering what the problem can be with the gauge, I got 2 responses so far that it was level sender or the oil pressure sender unit. Any help would be wonderful thank you!

BoxsterVlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
It will depend on how level the car is as well as oil temp and how long after the engine was shut off

double check with the dip stick
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
It will depend on how level the car is as well as oil temp and how long after the engine was shut off

double check with the dip stick
What do you mean it depends on how level the car is? This started to happen a month ago and I'm sure the car is pretty level since I drive it. Do you think it can be a sensor or can it be something else?
BoxsterVlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:16 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterVlad View Post
What do you mean it depends on how level the car is? This started to happen a month ago and I'm sure the car is pretty level since I drive it. Do you think it can be a sensor or can it be something else?
He is merely suggesting that you make sure the car is on a level surface when you check the oil level.

If you check the oil gauge a few minutes after you turn off the engine, the reading will be lower (~2-3 bars) than if you wait 8 hours to check it.

Check it with the dipstick. Again, the reading will vary depending upon how long it's been since the engine was run. ...and make sure the car is level when you check it.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It looks like it can be one of three things causing the problem (if the car is level and has the correct oil level).
1) Bad sensor on the engine.
2) A problem with the wiring between the sensor and the indicator.
3) A bad indicator

*The Bentley manual states that if there is a fault in the oil level detection system (broken wire, or short to ground) the entire display flashes.

With an intermittent problem it is most likely the wiring.
Here's the connection to the sensor on the engine: (Blue arrow)

Looks like a pain in the @ss to access, but I would pull that connection and give it a good cleaning and visual inspection.

The sensor is available for about $80 new. I'd grab one off a dead engine and swap it in there if the connection/wiring looks good. (Lucky me, I have a dead engine.) Ask in the classified section, I'm sure there's some used ones available cheap.

Last edited by 78F350; 10-13-2014 at 05:46 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
He is merely suggesting that you make sure the car is on a level surface when you check the oil level.

If you check the oil gauge a few minutes after you turn off the engine, the reading will be lower (~2-3 bars) than if you wait 8 hours to check it.

Check it with the dipstick. Again, the reading will vary depending upon how long it's been since the engine was run. ...and make sure the car is level when you check it.
Yes, that is what I meant, that the car should be on level ground

I do believe that you are supposed to check the oil while it is not cold, after it has been running, but wait a bit for it to drain back into the sump. A few minutes at least

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote