Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #1

2nd Gear shift arrester

2nd gear is doing the usual ! Found a fix-it part- wow $200! Can anyone confirm it really works?
I can't find fitting instructions so would appreciate an opinion on how much tear down is required.
CMS 996 SHIFT ARRESTER – California Motorsports Inc
I am asking because I am considering buying a low miles replacement gearbox and it seems logical to fit this gizmo if it will help 2nd gear last longer.
I am hoping to avoid tearing down my gbox to replace second and the bearings. It is not DIY friendly.Yes, I know it has been done and reported here recently but I am up to my neck in an engine rebuild and getting a little overwhelmed.
Grateful for any comments.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #2

Garage
It makes a definte improvement in shifting, especially 2nd gear. Requires removing the tailshaft housing.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Bill.
From what I have read, removing the tailshaft is easy.Getting it back on is difficult? I could find no explanation of why it was difficult nor how to overcome that specific difficulty. Perhaps you know?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Thanks for your reply Bill.
From what I have read, removing the tailshaft is easy.Getting it back on is difficult? I could find no explanation of why it was difficult nor how to overcome that specific difficulty. Perhaps you know?
Yes, removal is easy & reinstalling is hard because many parts move due to the tension they are under with tailshaft on. I quickly decieded this was a good time to have my Torque bias diff installed at Hergisheimer in Lake Forest.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #5

You may check my pedigree by a search on my user name. (I have done the transmission rebuild for second gear successfully) Reinstalling the tailshaft is quite easy if you follow the link I followed and posted. It takes two people; one to hold out the reverse shaft and align the shift fork, and the other to lower the tail piece into place. Use Loctite 574 flange sealant as recommended by Gbox. Good luck on the engine rebuild. (Special care in cam shaft timing!)
3_Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Reebuck1

Garage
Could you please post the link Thanks
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebuck1 View Post
Could you please post the link Thanks
The PDF outlines the technique on page 10. The file can be found at: http://itguynetworks.com/articles/boxster/2002BoxsterSTransmissionRebuildDecember2011Revisio n3.pdf

Send me a PM if you want to chat.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

You are the guys who inspired me to consider doing this Shift modification.However ,you are obviously way above my pay grade for me to assume that simply following your excellent write up (that I had already bookmarked) would be successful.I was hoping someone of less skillful status would chime in .I am daunted by the comment of Bill(BYDriver) who gave the task to Hergsramener (sp?)
Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #9

There is an alternative (or supplemental??) part from the highly regarded GBox in Boulder Co.
2ND GEAR POP-OUT UPGRADE-GBOX Transmission
It is the same price as the CMS part but totally different design + easier to fit.
Here is the CMS part for convenience:

So, which one to use? Either/both?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
There is an alternative (or supplemental??) part from the highly regarded GBox in Boulder Co.
2ND GEAR POP-OUT UPGRADE-GBOX Transmission
It is the same price as the CMS part but totally different design + easier to fit.
Here is the CMS part for convenience:

So, which one to use? Either/both?
Well, my transmission would shift without grinding into second gear, but it sometimes wouldn't be in second gear. When the transmission was in second gear it would frequently come out of gear upon deceleration.

I installed the GBox upgraded 2nd gear detent, and it seemed to improve the situation slightly, but certainly not adequately to drive the car with any confidence.

I looked into the CMS Shift Arrester. I decided to wait to order it until the transmission was out and open, particularly considering the caveats on the CMS and GBox websites about damaged teeth.

The wear on the teeth on second gear and matching teeth on the slider convinced me that I would either have to core exchange for a rebuild from GBox, or rebuild second gear myself.

The rebuild PDF looked entirely too easy not to give it a try anyway. (I could always send the core in anyway if things went poorly)

The rebuild was almost too easy; the transmission works delightfully now.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #11

Thanks for the great response.Yours was a very valuable write-up because the local Porsche indie charges $3500 for a gearbox overhaul.
I suspect your total cost -even with the fancy puller was way less than that.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the great response.Yours was a very valuable write-up because the local Porsche indie charges $3500 for a gearbox overhaul.
I suspect your total cost -even with the fancy puller was way less than that.
Bump for newbies !