Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Crazy Froggy Porschist

Noisy problem [video include]

Hi !

I have something noisy inside my 986 S but I don't know how to eliminate it... Could you help me to indentifine that "kriiiiii" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_hV28sk2J4

Last edited by Stryke911; 11-23-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Stryke911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Crazy Froggy Porschist

Please guys, I really need your help...

It happens when the engine is warm (85°),
Totally indenpendant from the engine rotation,
It always happens when the engine is idling or when my car is on vibration...

An idea ??
Old 11-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

Garage
That's allot of noise. From the video it sounded worse on the passenger side.

You have two possibilities. The first is the water pump and since the rattle sounded worse on the passenger side this is a good possibility. Do you have any leakage under the car just under the back of the passenger side seat. Is your water level stable or dropping?

Has the car had an IMS replaced? Do you have any engine code or check engine lights on. The second possibility is timing chains. Also a sound that would be more noticeable on the passenger side if you were in the beginning stages of an IMS failing. But it could be chain tensioners or worn chain guides as well.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Crazy Froggy Porschist

Hi ! So ... the pitched noise is like an angry cricket, really noisy, inside and outside the car, occuring sometimes between 680-2800 rpm (and never when > 3000 rpm). This last one is totally independent from the running engine (like : grik... griiiik grik... griiiiiiiik.... grik... grik............ grik..... stop during few seconds, and continue).

My IMS seems good, because I didn't find any plastic or metal piece captured inside the oil filter. I don't have any fault code with my Durametric (V3). I recently removed the accessory belt and the noise was audible. I also checked the clutch, my spark plug... everything is ok. My car works like a normal Porsche, but with this noise...

How can I separate the provenance of the noise between the ...
...Chain tensioner ?
...Gearbox ?
...Secondary air pump ?
...Separator air/oil ?
...Worn chain guide ?

I think that it's a real big challenge for every Porschist....
Old 12-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

Garage
The wind noise in your video is pretty over-powering; if you're hearing a chirp like a cricket... did you have the spark plugs replaced recently? If one or more are loose you'll hear a chirping noise which is quite annoying. Did you open the cover behind the seats to make sure its not a idler bearing or noise coming off the belt side?
Too many possibilities for noises unless you isolate the area where its roughly coming from. An automotive stethoscope can be a lot of help in isolating all sorts of
noises as well.
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Crazy Froggy Porschist

Thank you for your advise, I'm going to change my spark plugs in few days (+ coils, etc.) because they are too old... but I don't think that it's the source of my problem...

In addition, i'm going to buy and use a mechanical stethoscope for isolating this noise...

If you have any more idea, do not hesitate
Keep in contact!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #7

It sounds to me like to have a bad roller somewhere. These things can be a pain in the ass but if you are handy shouldn't be that hard to find.

I would recommend opening up the access panal in the car so you can access the front of the motor, belts etc. Easiest thing to start with is to "stethescope" (SP?) everything with a long screwdriver or any long solid metal rod but a screwdriver works best. Press the tip of the screwdriver on the suspect areas and put the handle up against your ear. Everything should sound nice and smooth until you get near the problem pulley which should be quite noticable.

Other thing to do is to pull the belt off and spin everything, sometimes it is harder to tell as you don't have as much tension on the rollers but if there is a problem you can generally feel it or the roller will not spin freely. Check everything that spins...

If you are still not having luck then wait til the car is cooled down and run it without the belt for a second and see if the noise goes away... if not you may have a bigger issue...

Good luck!
J
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
Crazy Froggy Porschist

Thank you for your comment, but... After the belt removed, the noise was audible (only when the engine is hot/warm)... never at cold start... I also removed every heat shields and put a special thermal braid (from racing competition) - it was a good idea, but... nothing changed...

I'm waiting my new stethescope, but I still perplexed...

Do you have another idea ??
Old 12-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
Crazy Froggy Porschist

Hi !

Sorry about my double post ; I made a new video without wind :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_6O1GMDSVg&feature=youtu.be

Please, help me
Old 01-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #10
Crazy Froggy Porschist

Hi everyone,

I finally founded my noisy problem... so... ready ?

It was this piece... just broken.......!!

cricket noise

It's crazy, but I finally did it with your help, thank you !