Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

shopping for new brake pads/rotors

Well I need new brakes on the front and the rears are not too far behind.

I have looked at ebay and there are many choices, kinda nervous about just picking one and ordering.

Amazon has a complete kit for under $150 (front/rear pads rotors) from

Callahan FRONT Premium OE 297.7 mm [2] Rotors + [4] Quiet Low Dust Ceramic Brake Pads w/ Sensors Kit CFP40062B b

Anyone use these before? zero feedback on amazon.

otherwise my choices are looking like the Akebono EU pads (about $80 per axle) or the EBC Red Stuff.

I have read on this forum to go with the stock pads, but I am thinking there must be a better pad for low dust.

My priorities are low noise low dust. I only do spirited street driving, no track use or hard driving.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks

Mike in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

my $0.02:

brakes are a silly thing to cheap out on.

Rotors are cast iron.. A lot of aftermarket rotors (read - chinese) have poor castings, which (basically) contain air pockets. They can weigh a pound or more less than an OEM or OE equivalent rotor. This leads to hot/cold spots and warping, as well as corrosion setting in and having the rotor rot from the inside out, and even have chunks come off, which I've personally seen happen.

Some cheapo white box rotors aren't even the same thickness as stock, or even as one another; some are actually thinner than the service limit.

Long winded reply - stick with OEM/OE supplier stuff. The engineers knew what they were doing.

mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote