Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #1

Summary of Boxster Weight Reductions

Heres a list, or more of a work in progress, of Boxster weight reductions. I can claim credit for none of these. I simply compiled the list from posts here by people like Kiyakuke who were kind enough to share weight reduction results. A lot of credit goes to the 6 Speed Forum as well. If you see anything out of place let me know, I hear not everything on the internet is true so you never know. I also know that there is at least another 600lbs out there somewhere

Curb weights as claimed by Porsche Pounds
  • Base 2822
  • S 6-Speed 2855
  • Triptronic S 2954
Stage 1- Minor Impact on Drivability Pounds
  • Muffler replacement (varies greatly) 23
  • stock battery(replaced with Odyssey) 38
  • Spare 30.8
  • Swap to fixed back seats (Varies greatly 28
  • Sound Deadening around engine 15
  • Electric Top motors and gearbox 15
  • Cats 10
  • LTWT Flywheel 15
  • Spoiler assembly 5
  • Air pump 13
  • Mirror motors ?
  • Engine cooling fan ?
  • Wheels (LTWT) 15
  • Total 207.8
Stage 2- Major Safety Impacts
  • stock steering wheel with airbag 7.75
  • Bumper inserts 16
  • passenger side dash airbag 7.75
  • door panel airbags 8
  • Total 44.5
Stage 3- Unstreetable
  • Convertible top Frame 40
  • HVAC/climate control unit with blowers 15.75
  • Air Conditioning 13
  • Window glass for the doors 12
  • window lifter mechanism and motor 11
  • PWR Steering 10
  • radiator fans 10
  • door speakers 8.5
  • windshield wiper assembly 5.25
  • Total 125.5
Grand Total 377.8

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #2

Might be a good idea to compile any other findings here and then every now and then copy, paste and update the list.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #3

On another thread recently, someone mentioned that the cayman engine cover is significantly lighter than the 986 cover, but I don't recall whether it was quantified and haven't been able to find more info on it.

Is an Odyssey battery really in the 'minor impact on drivability' category? I thought there were practical issues with this.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #4

I run an Ody. The size/cap. is smaller than stock. It does tend to suffer but I have been okay so far..... Must keep it charged

Not sure one will get 38 lbs out of it though...seems high
Old 05-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
On another thread recently, someone mentioned that the cayman engine cover is significantly lighter than the 986 cover, but I don't recall whether it was quantified and haven't been able to find more info on it.

Is an Odyssey battery really in the 'minor impact on drivability' category? I thought there were practical issues with this.
That was me... I recently installed a 996 intake manifold on the 3.4 I have installed, which required a different engine cover to clear. Next chance I get, Ill weigh the two covers, the cayman cover is totally aluminum and much lighter.

I agree on the impact the lightweight battery makes. I would at carry the stock battery in one of the trunks along with some jumper cables just in case, or a fully charged booster pack. Easy stuff to remove on race day.

Last edited by Bigsmoothlee; 05-22-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
I agree that pulling weight out of the 986 really wakes things up. However, I also recommend weighing your car stock, then weighing after pulling parts. Adding "pulled parts" weight and then subtracting from Porsche's stock weight seems a bit like adding advertised HP gains from aftermarket parts. My car is REALLY stripped and weighed in at 2700 lbs. No carpet, no top, CF hood, fiberglass seats, no airbags, headers, Borla muffler, Bypass pipes, LW wheels, no rear spoiler or mechanism, fiberglass trunk, no front or rear trunk carpet, Honda battery, no hood/ trunk latches, no A/C, lwfw, ....and less.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I agree that pulling weight out of the 986 really wakes things up. However, I also recommend weighing your car stock, then weighing after pulling parts. Adding "pulled parts" weight and then subtracting from Porsche's stock weight seems a bit like adding advertised HP gains from aftermarket parts. My car is REALLY stripped and weighed in at 2700 lbs. No carpet, no top, CF hood, fiberglass seats, no airbags, headers, Borla muffler, Bypass pipes, LW wheels, no rear spoiler or mechanism, fiberglass trunk, no front or rear trunk carpet, Honda battery, no hood/ trunk latches, no A/C, lwfw, ....and less.
You need to give me a ride in this beast, are you registered for the PCA auto X at South Side. I looked at pictures from last year and I thought I saw a car that looked like yours. Where did you get the fiberglass trunk? Also I like the "and less.." tag, nice touch