Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #1

Couple of questions

What is a P0446 code and how do i get rid of it? I am trying to do my 60k service, what all does it entail and if you can provide the specs if possible like "how many quarts do i need for oil and what grade of oil". I have no owner manual and dont know what all to do.

Yoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
The code reads, "EVAP Emission Control System Vent Circuit Malf"
Old 02-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #3

so what will i need to do to get rid of it?
Yoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #4

Maybe this will help:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7009&hl=P0446
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #5

Call Sunset Porsche and buy an oil filter, gasket and crush ring for the drain plug. Porsche recommends Mobil 1 0W40 weight synthetic oil... 9 quarts of it! Yes, you read that right.

You can read numerous threads on this forum debating types and weights of oil. It's almost as big a can of worms as tire preference, but not quite as bad.

If you don't own a jack and do oil changes on your other cars, you can always take these things to a lube place and ask them if you can go down below and watch them change your oil. Shouldn't cost more than $15.

I say go down into the hole and watch just to see the underbelly of the car and make sure they don't screw it up. The filter should be put on hand tight and the drain plug is supposed to be torqued down to some special setting, but my mechanic just tightens it good (not too tight) and sends me on my way.

(I must say that it's an easy 15 minute DIY if you have a pan large enough to catch 9 quarts of oil and a jack and room in your garage)

Word to the wise: Buy both a manual for your model year from the dealer and if you are mechanically inclined or inquisitive, buy the new repair manual by Bentley Publishing on Amazon.com. I'm getting the repair manual for my birthday coming up and I'm really excited about that.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote