Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #1

Rollbar options for SCCA events, are there any!

So it turns out the boxster rollbar does not meet SCCA specs. I'm trying to do a hill climb and can't becuase of my bar. So I started looking around and there really isn't any option besides ripping out the interior and installing a full cage. I called autopower up and they said that they do install bars but there is extensive modifications that need to be made. Has anyone else heard of a solution? This is really buggin me, I'm tempted to try and install a miata bar!

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #2

I thought this might happen when I saw your hillclimb post. A hillclimb is not a DE, it's a competition, and more dangerous than a track event. There are no easy options, comply with the SCCA GCR ( General Competition Rules ), or they won't let you run. Not to mention it appears you need an SCCA license or permit and full fire suite. Read the Supp's (Supplementary Rules & Entry Form) and Time Trial rules linked on the TT page.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
I thought this might happen when I saw your hillclimb post. A hillclimb is not a DE, it's a competition, and more dangerous than a track event. There are no easy options, comply with the SCCA GCR ( General Competition Rules ), or they won't let you run. Not to mention it appears you need an SCCA license or permit and full fire suite. Read the Supp's (Supplementary Rules & Entry Form) and Time Trial rules linked on the TT page.
I have te license, fire suit, and all the othe requirements met. I've talked to a number of regional SCCA people(who were all really helpfull!) and I just can't get over this one piece. I really want to get into hill climbs and I hope it doesn't mean selling the boxster. I'm still looking at options and am waiting to hear back from a fabricator that thinks he can help
Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Ah, that's good. I've never done a hillclimb, so I wasn't sure of their specific requirements. So you have a club racing competition license? You could probably rent something like a Spec Racer Ford.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Hillclimbs look like fun but I would totally want a full FIA cage to run one. Lots of cars do tend to become inverted when the red mist kicks in. This guy does pretty well though:
Jeff Zwart - Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2013 - YouTube

And a public service announcement for "no compromise" safety gear when running hill climbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojO9IxCXxeM

Last edited by Topless; 02-07-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #6

Wait .... A turbo cup car (dog box) where did this come from!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #7

Stable Energies has a 6 point bolt in cage for the 97-04 Boxster. Not sure if it is SCCA compliant.
VBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

safety devices have a cage that is supposed to be fia and scca compliant, but i dont think it is?

edit - somebody beat me to it - stable sells the safety devices cage.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I have te license, fire suit, and all the othe requirements met. I've talked to a number of regional SCCA people(who were all really helpfull!) and I just can't get over this one piece. I really want to get into hill climbs and I hope it doesn't mean selling the boxster. I'm still looking at options and am waiting to hear back from a fabricator that thinks he can help
Please post if you find a good solution. I'm in the same boat, and wanted to do the Dragon hill climb a couple of years ago, but safety steward said no way with OEM roll hoop.

The GCR requires forward and aft bracing as I recall, and if you look at the OEM bar closely it is well braced, but to meet the GCR, it looked like the bracing would have to go over the top of the engine cover and penetrate the rear cowling. I'm just not willing to hack-up my car, so please let us know if you find another option.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #10

Roll Bar, Boxster 97 - 04 w/No Roof Mount Bkts-Stable Energies

VBoxster beat me to it, but one of the SCCA guys got back to me and sent me this link. They're not positive that it meets SCCA requirements but it looks like it does. The thickness would be the only factor, the design meets the requirements. The only problem is you need to ditch your cloth top.

I doubt this is an actual diagram but it is just a bar, not a full cage and its barely more expensive then the Brau Kraus bar!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Roll Bar, Boxster 97 - 04 w/No Roof Mount Bkts-Stable Energies

VBoxster beat me to it, but one of the SCCA guys got back to me and sent me this link. They're not positive that it meets SCCA requirements but it looks like it does. The thickness would be the only factor, the design meets the requirements. The only problem is you need to ditch your cloth top.

I doubt this is an actual diagram but it is just a bar, not a full cage and its barely more expensive then the Brau Kraus bar!
That looks pretty good to me, but I can't find anything on their web site about tube diameter and thickness. It looks like for hillclimb with a roolbar, you need to meet the SCCA TTR specs here:

http://www.sedivtt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2014_TT_HC_Driver_Rules_final.pdf

This calls for 1.5" x .120" wall or 1.75" x .095" wall tubing.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
Registered Boxster abuser

Dunno if this will work but it is for sale in craigslist here in california.

$700

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote